Saturday, July 09, 2016

2016 Summer July 9 Saturday



72 degrees this morning, walk on trail, no time

The journey continues.  

Drove to Manhattan, Kansas yesterday for the Courter Reunion.  The hotel is very nice in in a nice area.

We met my  two sisters and their husbands and had a nice visit later joined by other family members (Courter descendants).

Right before we started for dinner, I got a call than someone had backed into my rental car.  Only a little (very little) damage, but I expect it will result in a mountain of paperwork!  

I did call the person who hit the car and thanked him for reporting it.  He was very nice and actually contacted the hotel and police to find the owner and report the accident with his insurance company.  

We have met a lot of very nice people this trip!  I wish it hadn’t happened, but it could have been worse.

What is strange is that we smelled gasoline when we went to look at the damage.  The car beside us was leaking gasoline at a fairly good rate.

The Police Officer came by and we reported it to him and he went into the hotel to see who owned the car. 

Later on, we learned it was a person who was attending the reunion, which is why they missed eating supper with us!

I don’t know Manhattan that well, but we ate at a wonderful hamburger place in Aggieville(spell?).  I remember hearing people telling me they had “majored in Aggieville” when they attended K State, so they ended up having a break in their education until they decided it wasn’t the best major!

Weather is wonderful (if hot).  It is nice to get away from rain etc.  

Very nice walk this morning over in a prairie grass preserve area (I think).  We saw a coyote, turkeys, quail,  deer (very close), and a lot of wonderful scenery.  About a 3 mile walk and up hills and dales, so it was a little tougher than my normal walk, but fun.  

We saw a whole herd (?) of turkeys, and some of the males had their back feathers up in a fan.

We didn’t see any snakes, but maybe the turkeys scare them off.  My Dad raised turkeys for awhile and if I remember right, he said they would gather around and kill a snake. 

There were also a few misc. flies (big ones) etc.  The scenery was the type that a photo can’t do justice to (at least by me).

I don’t know that much about Manhattan, Kansas, but I do remember the large hill by the road, and, when I remember it, there was no development in the area.  Now it is very dense commercial!  

My cough returned about a week ago.  It seems to be worse around air conditioning.  Went last night to get some lemon and water and tried that, seemed tell some, am going out to get more D3 this morning.

Looking forward to the rest of the Reunion.  More persons will arrive today, so that will be interesting to visit with relatives we haven’t seen for awhile.  


That’s it for now, Saturday, July 9,2016.

No comments: