Wednesday, July 27, 2016

2016 Summer July 27 Wednesday



77 degrees this morning.  Walk 36:13 miles

Relatively cool air this morning.  No rain, at least as of this time, although the forecast  is for more rain later today.

Listening to the stories about the great philosophers, I have to wonder where they got time to come up with all of their writings, thoughts, speeches and activities.  Although many of them were recognized when young  as to their potential some weren’t.  

Of course, I wonder even in the current world how people really have time to work, and watch all of the tv shows, sports, movies and read all the books they say they do.  

Maybe it is more to the point on why you would want to spend your time in such a manner.  

Anyway, I know I can’t do it, and if they can, more power to them.  I already feel like I frequently just skim information, which is not always bad by any means.  Skimming Facebook, the internet news, newspapers etc. is the only way I have time to look at them.  

I really feel that no matter how much time you have (if retired, out of a job etc.) somehow activities expand to fill the time to the point you always feel like you don’t have enough time. Except when I am waiting in line or something, I don’t ever remember being bored for something to do.

That brings up one of my worst nightmares, the “drive thru” anything (bank, laundry, McDonalds, Starbucks, pharmacy etc.).  I just don’t like drive thru’s and normally don’t use them.  
I have gotten to the point where I normally will use a bank drive thru, but that is about it.

My major problem is I can’t stand to sit in the car and wait, and my worst nightmare is getting caught in a drive thru line and not being able to get out!  

The other night I decided I’d go through the drive thru to pick up some prescriptions and I could feel a claustrophobic reaction as I wait, a welling of anxiety that I really had no control over except to control my breathing.  A  really strange feeling.  

It isn’t anger or even impatience, it is just a steady rise of feeling  anxious 

Probably one thing I really don’t like about drive thru’s  is that if there is a mistake, it is really hard to get it corrected.

Also, I really don’t like eating in the car (so much for Sonic!), and I don’t like having old food containers in the car if I can’t get rid of them right away.  

The one exception is on a “field day” at work, I almost never stop for lunch, but eat a “food bar”, some nuts and maybe an apple while I am in the car.   I try to get ride of the apple core as soon as possible.

Speaking of claustrophobia, several years ago I was at a conference and went out to dinner with  group, probably about 20 people.  I was in a long “bench” seat,right in the middle, with absolutely no way to get out until after the  dinner was over.  

I really was completely stressed out and can’t remember feeling more anxious and stressed out than I was sitting there with the knowledge that I couldn’t get out!  I decided I would never let myself get into that position again and I haven’t.

The only worse time was when I was in an airplane with a cramped seat and a very low ceiling.  I really had to practice my deep breathing then to avoid an anxiety attack of major proportions although I have no idea what an anxiety attack is.  I don’t want to find out either, so I really try to avoid those situations.  


That's it for now, Wednesday, July 27, 2016. 

No comments: