Tuesday, July 05, 2016

2016 Summer July 5Tuesday

2016 Summer July 5 Tuesday

79 degrees this morning, Walk 36:46 minutes

A great July 4th weekend and I didn’t even see any fireworks, watch any parades etc!  I did eat plenty of hot dogs, hamburgers etc. and enjoyed visiting!  

Taking my bicycle into the shop for a tune-up and also to find out what a “clunk” sound is in the front wheel at certain times.  The “clunk” gets worse when climb hills etc, so I have no idea  what may cause the sound or what  the problem is.  

As usual with bicycles, the biggest problems is getting the  bike to and from the shop.  Although I didn’t discover it until I finally got the bike loaded up, I found a shop who will pick up and deliver to this area!  No price mentioned, so I’ll have to check on that.  

It is kind of a surprise to realize that the bicycle is 10 years old this year.  It has been a good bike,  there haven’t been any major problems other than maybe some self-inflicted ones.  I did buy new tires, called “armadillos”  (because they are supposed to be almost puncture proof) and haven’t had any flats since.  

I don’t like the distance between the seat and the handlebars (it is hard to explain except to another bike rider) and the next bike I get I am going to make sure that is a little further, I will be more comfortable.  

Also, I don’t want a “motorized” bike, but I would like to get a “pedal assist” bike when some of the hills get to be a little too much!

I have always thought if “I don’t bike up the hills now I never will be able to bike up the hills”, which I have found to be very true.  

As I biked up hills and against the wind etc, I gradually found it got much easier and hills I dreaded at first became easier.  Maybe never easy, but at least I did’t dread them quite so much and found it easier to peddle up the hills as time went on.

The big problem I see with “pedal assist” is that you will never be challenged by the hills so you won’t train yourself to bike up them.  However, at my age, I’m not sure that I”m going worry about that!  I will just be glad to be able to bike up the hills I can.

Also, I think the “pedal assist”  (if I understand how it works) will expand my bicycling alternatives a lot, which is important to me.

In spite of being in a “bicycle and walking friendly” city, Aliene and I discovered that there are still major gaps in the system.  

We went out yesterday to see if I could ride the bike 4 miles to the nearest bicycle shop.  It was “possible”, but not without a lot of ‘adjustments” and the last half mile was almost impossible, although we finally figured out a route if I went through some parking lots etc.  

The number of people biking and walking in just the area we live in is amazing.  It seems if they all got  together and voted…..  

What is more surprising is the attitude of some of the elected officials (including the Mayor or the “central city” of the metro area that “people don’t use sidewalks”.  

All they have to do is open their eyes and they will see people bicycling, walking etc.  If there aren’t any sidewalks, or they are overgrown etc.,  yes, you probably won’t see many people out walking and bicycling in that neighborhood!

For the next several days, postings may be a little more random and possibly much later than normal.  I”ll explain as events unfold.  


That’s it for now, Tuesday, July 5, 2016.  

No comments: