Tuesday, July 26, 2016

2016 Summer July 26 Tuesday



74 degrees this morning, no walk (rain).

Big lightning and thunder storm last night, lots of rain, light rain this morning, forecast is for some more scattered rain.  

Listing while i walk to some of the ideas philosophers had about elections.  The current elections and some past elections indicate that they were true in some respects as far as elections not attracting qualified people for office due to the nature of elections.  

T:hey also mentioned about “buying” elections and the role of money in elections.  There is to much to really go into it here, but I am surprised at the accuracy of some of the comments as to what can happen and the unqualified people who can get elected, at all levels of government.  

Time to try to decide already if we are going to refinance our house, interest rates have actually declined that much since we bought the house in February.  Since we don’t see any reason we would move, it probably makes sense to go ahead and do it.  

That (house refinancing) is another area where you have to make a decision based on incomplete information, and I really wonder about the extremely high “underwriting” fees they charge.  Somehow “competition” is not a factor, and the original estimate seems to always go up, never down.

When financing or buying a house (especially buying a house), you also feel like you are going to a machine with a bunch of animals nipping at you, getting pressured to make decisions based on incomplete information, signing “standard” paperwork which has one sided provisions which aren’t explained until someone goes wrong etc.  

Of course, as I have mentioned before, it is infuriating that you are expected to make a decision on a car, or something that is a huge financial commitment based on a single test drive or one hurried visit to a house etc.  

That is especially true when you can’t trust the house inspector to do a good inspection job etc.  

However, no one makes you make a decision, it is up to the individual.  The last car we bought, I did wait the “3 days” and not accept a car off they lot they might try to pawn off on us.  Overall we have been pleased with the car.  

I know one area where buying “quality” is worth the money is shoes.  Since I have been buying a higher quality of walking shoes (and shoes in general) I haven’t had any problem with  my feet, which is great.  

I even bought a pair of “dress” walking shoes for work, since I frequently walk so much on my “field days”.  It has made a big difference.  

I just bought a pair of “dress” walking shoes for working “in the field”, and wore them for the first time yesterday.  I noticed the difference.  

My “new” walking shoes actually just completed 20% of their estimated life span.  

Considering what the foot doctor was proposing I would need (an operation on my foot and six weeks of not walking, at least with crutches etc.) a few dollars more for a decent pair of shoes is well worth it.

I have always wondered (in silence) about why “dressing up” involves discomfort.  I have never seen the reason for a tie, and wearing a men’s suit or coat in the heat never ceased to puzzle me.

The sprinkler repair people are supposed to be here this week, of course, just as we get the most rain we have gotten for months!  But that seems to be the wait goes!


That’s it for now, Tuesday, July 26, 2016.

No comments: