Wednesday, July 20, 2016

2016 Summer July 20 Wednesday



79 degrees this morning, Walk 35;17 minutes

Today was the first early morning when it felt “hot” in the sense that there wasn’t a cooling wind or a coolness that prevailed regardless of the temperature.

It has been 82 degrees some mornings and felt cooler than this morning.  If I recall correctly, it is getting that time of year (late July, August) when the nights are hot with that sticky heat that hangs on all night.

Beautiful moon this morning.  I assume, a full moon, is hanging in the sky.  It is fun to walk with a full moon.  

One aspect of this area I enjoy are the late days, in the sense that the sunset is very late and it is daylight until almost 9 p.m.  The other day, we were inside and walked out about 8:30 p.m. and were amazed that it was still almost full light outside!

The one thing I could never get used to in Memphis were the early “nights” in the Summer.  I loved Memphis nights, but didn’t like the fact they came so early! Of course, in the Winter it would frequently be dark by 4:30 p.m.

I am going to be thinking about a trip to take someplace “hot” this Winter to get away from the continual cold in the air around here.  Of course, I am sure when we go, it will be unseasonably warm here!

The bike repair person did an excellent job on tuning up my bicycle.  It rides like a completely different bicycle!  And that is good!

The one problem around here is that the sprinkler systems are over-used (especially by the HOA) and the street is still wet or has standing water around the medians etc.  The last (and actually only) time I took a spill years ago was when the ground was wet.  I was actually going very slow and hit a wet manhole cover.  No serious damage, although I had a few scrapes.

That is that was the only spill I have taken as an adult.  I took a lot of spills when I was a teenager/pre-teenager.  

I got some knee and arm pads in the event I fell again, but gradually quit using them.  Falling on a bike is part of the process although hopefully it won’t happen again.  

Maintaining a constant awareness is the best way to avoid an accident, it is so easy to let something distract you and all it takes is a second and you are down.  Not quite that bad, but it can happen fast.

Overall, motorists are aware around here and very courteous to bike riders and walkers since there are so many.  

However, most people walk/bike on the sidewalk.  I don’t, I bike and walk in the street, although I walk when there is very little traffic and so I can get away with walking in the street.

While the sidewalks are nice, they are just too narrow for me to ride the bike on.  The “main” street, if I bike to the YMCA  and some businesses etc. etc., does have a sidewalk narrow enough to ride a bike on

Went up another 5 pounds   on the bar bells. Doesn’t sound like much, but I feel it!  I don’t feel it near as much as 5 pounds  on the dumbbell, but then that was actually 10 pounds, five pounds fro each one.  

I enjoy lifting weights, I just don’t like taking the time.  Probably ought to do the dumbbells one day and the bar bell weights the other day and add a few exercises.  

Office day  today it is good to have the variety of an “office day” and a “field day”.  


That’s it for now, Wednesday, July 20, 2016.

No comments: