Tuesday, July 12, 2016

2016 Summer July 12 Tuesday



82 degrees this morning, no walk.  Windy.

Back home.  Strange how long or short 5 days can seem, actually six days and five nights.  

Yesterday, drove to Kansas City Airport in one of those high winds that I had forgotten about.  I-70 apparently is in a high area and so it is like driving with a continuous force against you, pushing your car sideways.  

Of course, when you pass a truck you get this dead space and then a sudden blast of wind.

The day started with an indicator or what the day was going to be like when the first place I stopped  for gas charged me about .40 more per gallon than the posted price. It was supposed to be $2.05 and ended up being $2.45.  

I have certainly been known to make mistakes, but in this case, I knew I had pressed the right button, and there was a problem with the equipment because both of the prices went out.  I mentally computed the price as it filled up and figured there was a problem.  

Anyway, I went in to complain and the Manager did refund the different.  I had’t really gone in expecting a refund, I had just wanted to complain about the pump being tricky or wrong and let them know that some people did notice.  

Then I take the car back to Hertz to pick up a “one way” car (based on the weird logic of rental car prices, it was way too expensive to rent a car for the entire time and make it “one way”, since they charge you the “one way” price every day.)  Doesn’t make any sense, but nothing makes much sense about airline or rental car pricing.

Of course, I get the car I picked up off the Airport and notice the gas gauge shows the gas tank is half empty.  Or half full, deepening on how you look at it.  Since I had to refill it, it was half empty.  Based again on rental car logic, you can buy their “prepaid” gas and give them a gift of gas, or you can fill it up yourself.  If you don’t fill it up, their price is like $8.00 per gallon plus a service fee.  

Called Hertz on their “emergency line”, waited over 15 minutes for an operator (not a good sign!).  I was told they would make a note of it and to bring it back half full.  Of cause, sounds simple.

The drive was actually nice, we were glad we had driven instead of flown.  Had a wonderful meal in Wichita at “BJ’s Pizza”, one of the first places that Aliene discovered gluten free pizza (not the first place but the first in a traditional restaurant).  

Of course, in keeping with the day, I tried to fill up with gas in Emporia (or someplace like that) and was advised by the smart aleck pump to “see the clerk”, where I was advised my American Express Card wasn’t being accepted because of “too frequent use”.  What else is it good for?   
(I use one card for gas, but I may have go to using my “double cash” card for everything!).  

Why American Express would suddenly stop my card without any notice to me (they certainly have all my numbers and e-mail to peddle their insurance etc.) is hard to believe.  Especially when I was only using it for gas.  Anyway, rather than call, I just decided I will cancel the card, I don’t really need it any more anyway.  If I can’t depend on it, I don’t need it.

Back to the first car I dropped off at Hertz.  I filled up the car with gas right next to the Hertz return and I got an e-mail they were charing me for filling up with gas!  I tried to call them (of course, no contact), but decided I could handle that later.  

Back to work today.  It is always a little different starting work again even after just a few days. You feel you have missed out on things, kind of like when I first took a trip when I was a kid and was surprised when I got back and everyone had gone well without me while I was gone!  

Didn’t walk this morning, especially with starting work etc., but I’ll be glad to get back to it tomorrow.  Hopefully my bicycle will also be back soon (I sent it in for maintenance and a tuneup).

Wonderful trip, a very enjoyable family reunion, glad to be home!


That’s it for now, Tuesday, July 12, 2016.

No comments: