Thursday, July 14, 2016

2016 Summer July 14 Thursday



78 degrees this morning, walk 36:31 miles

In spite of being 78 degrees it is one of those cool mornings, cool when I walked and cool while I sit here on the patio writing this.  

For some reason, my computer isn’t “remembering” e-mail address like it used too and some programs have gotten slow.  Hope it is a temporary problem.  I reset it just in case and it seems to be operating faster.

You tend to forget how well things usually work (cars, computers, phones etc.) until they don’t work!  

I always suddenly realize how lucky I am with most of my “need to work” items in that they normally work.   When they break down (or get a flat tire) it is frustrating perhaps, but that is because they all normally work so well!  (Except for Samsung products which for some reason have never worked for me.)

It is good to get back into the routine, just as it is good to get out of the routine occasionally.

Got my bicycle back last night, so I am good to go with bicycling.  He did a wonderful job on cleaning and tuning it up and charged a very reasonable rate.  The delivery rate was also very reasonable and really helped.  

I am enjoying riding my bike in the early morning (I have a conflict this morning so can’t ride it this morning).   I used to ride only in the early morning while it was still dark (with some exceptions on weekends and holidays).  

Right now, I am happy with the time I ride and probably don’t intend to ride in the very early morning.   It is probably safer, although I never felt unsafe riding in the dark, although I tended to be lit up like a Christmas Tree so motorists could see me.

In a way it could be it is safer to ride in the dark if you are “well lit” because motorists see you.  In the time I ride, many people are going to work and I fully realize their mind may not be on driving, but other things!

Anyway, I am very pleased with finding someone who will not only work on my bike at a very reasonable cost but also pick it up and deliver it for a modest fee!

I only hope I can continue riding it next winter, I don’t really see any reason I can’t, just bundle up more.  

On the other hand, all I really need to be concerned  with now is riding it this Summer, the winter will arrive soon enough!

One conversation during the Family Reunion concerned shoe and bicycle shops and how sometimes you had to find the right person to get the service you came to expect from the persons you normally deal with.
One thing about the bicycle shop is there is only one person who works there (the owner), so I expect the service will remain the same.

I have decided when I buy shoes in the future, it is my problem/fault if I don’t get the service I want. 

For example, for my current pair of walking shoes, I felt the service was not up to par.  They didn’t really even want to  measure my feet (my foot changes a lot between shoes sometimes) and try any but the upgrade of the shoe I was wearing.

While I am very pleased with the “Brooks 13”, the “Brooks 14” isn’t quite as good.  Probably would have bought it anyway, but next time I am going to insist on trying on other shoes and getting my feet measured.  

If I just wanted to buy shoes, I can buy them at other places, probably a lot cheaper.  What I am really buying is the service!


That’s it for now, Thursday, July 14, 2016.

No comments: