Sunday, July 10, 2016

2016 Summer July 10 Sunday



77 degrees this morning 

Plan to walk later this day with other persons at Reunion.  

Weather has been relatively nice, not overly hot and no rain.  Hotel we are staying at and the location  have been excellent.  

Somehow I am always surprised when I first see a place  I have heard a lot about but never really visited.  Or, in the case of Manhattan Kansas and Kansas State University, I haven’t been here fro so long that I may as well be visiting it for the first time. 

It seems like the image I had of the place before I visited is basically gone, and replaced by reality.  As hard as I try, I can’t remember how I visualized it before I saw it in reality.  

Sometimes, before I visit a City I haven’t seen before I try to visualize how it looks in my memory, but it is still replace by the reality of what it really looks like and is.

If I haven’t visited a city for years, it also can have changed so much it seems like an entirely different City. 

Kansas City hadn’t really changed all that much from the last time I visited, not that I remembered that much, but,  at least the areas I saw had a familiar feeling to them.  

St. Louis had a familiar feeling, even though the Stadium was a completely new stadium  There were still some parts I recognized.  

Denver changed so much since I lived there in the summers while I was going to college, I wouldn’t really recognize it.  Of course the Capital Building and the part in front of it was familiar but nothing else seemed even close to the same.  Of course the years have a way of changing your memories also!

However, I never feel that “Denver is Denver” now because it has changed so much since the time I lived there.  

One of my last “5 K” runs was actually in Denver at a City Managers conference.    I actually had one of my best times ever, but due to my “exercise induced asthma”, I coughed for hours after I finished. 

I know Topeka changes, but i think the landmarks I have seen since I was a child haven’t changed all that much, so I focus on those and not on other changes.

Of course the “new” highway 75 that I still think of as “the new highway” is now probably considered the “old” highway 75 by most people.

Such are the thoughts that develop as part of a Reunion, it brings out memories!

Had some good visiting yesterday, which I always enjoy as part of the Reunion, it seems you always find out something new!

I think next year will be the 70th Courter Reunion, the first one being held in 1947.  I don’t know if we have pictures of the attendees every year, but it is interesting to look at the pictures and see the passage of time.

My cough is still on-going, though erratic.  I am trying to determine why I cough at times and don’t others.  An old remedy,, hot lemon and water seems to help some, oddly enough, and air conditioning sets it off.

The Reunion, like many events, seems to go by in a blur and end fast.  Something you have planned for etc., seems to go buy in a blur.  Today is the last day, as people leave to get back home, and as it started with a trickle of persons attending, now it will end as people leave and a trickle of persons will remain.  


That’s it for now, Sunday, July 10 2016.

No comments: