Thursday, July 07, 2016

2016 Summer July 1 Thursday



72 degrees this morning.  No walk, traveling.

In St. Louis, went to St. Louis Cardinals game last night.  

It was an adventure in a way in that we took the “train” to the stadium.  The real adventure came when we took the wrong train back to the hotel and probably took an extra 1 1/2 hours getting back.

I will never be able to say enough about the courtesy, helpfulness and just overall good neighborliness of the St. Louis residents. The residents went out of their way to help us get on the right train etc., almost to the point of taking us by the hand and guiding us to the right train! 
These are residents who had worked hard all day and they took the time to assist us.  We don’t even know their names!

Overall, we were impressed by the overall friendliness etc. of St. Louis residents during our entire stay.  

It just seemed to be a trend.  I’m sure three are a lot of grouches here etc., but we didn’t meet any!  And if do, it will certainly not negate the positive feeling towards the overwhelming number of St Louis residents.  

Onward and westward today, as they say, as we again get on the magic bird and fly west to another city and another adventure.  This isn’t something we could (or at least would) do without Southwest Air and their relatively reasonable one-way fares and an accumulation of “points” from a Southwest Air branded credit card!

I don’t really know what makes one city’s residents “friendly” and helpful and others somewhat the other way.  

Oddly enough, some of the biggest cities, in my experience, (St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, etc). have had the friendliest and most helpful  residents.  If I lived in a cold area that those cities, I’m not sure how friendly I would be!  Of course, we were there in spring, summer and fall when the weather was reasonably nice.  

One thing I try not to do is assume the character or friendliness etc. of a city’s residents from the way people drive.  People are much different once they get out of their car.

Perhaps that is it!  While I have driven in St. Louis (but not for a long time, I have never driven in any of the other cities I mentioned!

There is a definite difference in the way people drive.  Memphis was a much easier city to drive in than where we drive now, the motorists were much more courteous.   The drivers are much more hostile where we live now (again, this is the extremes, and not the majority of the population).  

I realize that people aren’t the same when they are siting in an automobile as when sitting next to you personally, but there still needs to be a reason why there is such a difference.

When we lived in Memphis and came back and forth every six weeks or so, we noticed the difference in driving hostility immediately as we entered the city.  

Another day on the road.  As I discussed yesterday, I enjoy the adventure, but I also miss my house and our routine and even miss my job, that I am not there to help people who need it.  Of course there are plenty of other people who can assist. I’m hardly sorry we are doing this, but there is always that feeling of loss of daily life.  

However, the long time we went without any trips our of town, I also missed the sense of adventure and meeting new people and having unique  experiences.  Perhaps most of all, I miss planning them!  

One thing I don’t miss is packing to move to another hotel etc.  Thank goodness Aliene is a great packer!


That’s it for today, Thursday, July 7, 2016.

No comments: