Thursday, July 21, 2016

2016 Summer July 21 Thursday



81 degrees this morning, Walk 35:11 miles

Slightly cooler this morning, even though the temperature is higher.  May be the wind cools in the nighttime.  

Elevation may also play a factor.  I believe it is generally around 1300’ elevation here. (It varies a lot, several hundred feet either way.)

Even after my time in Denver (and trips to the mountains), somehow I was never really aware of the effects of “elevation” until I lived in Memphis, where the elevation was (in areas) as low as several hundred feet.  

I would see snow in the west turn to rain in Memphis (good, believe me).  Also, the air was somewhat different, especially at night.  I think it contributes to what I call the “Memphis nights”, which are kind of a magical night for several months of the year.

Actually, it is somewhat the same here in the mornings.  I loved my patio in Lakeland, sitting out on the patio in the morning.  I enjoy it here also, although we currently don’t have a covered patio (and unfortunately the patio faces the setting sun).  Actually it says “covered”, but the part covered is useless.  I don’t really know why they bothered.  

Back to elevation, I can remember my first “career” job in Liberal, Kansas, the snows in the winter were actually fairly severe.  I believe the elevation there was around 3,000 feet.  It make a huge difference in snow and in the temperature.  Hot in the day, but cool at night. 

I am always surprised at the general increase in elevation as you go west. I checked on the elevation of Holton, Kansas (where I grew up on a farm near Holton), and the elevation is just slightly over 1,000 feet, so elevation really does make a difference and there is a significant difference even in 300 miles, westbound.

Actually driving from Memphis west, you do notice the difference,especially in Arkansas. 

Actually the “world’s highest hill” is in Poteau, Oklahoma at 1,999 feet, one foot short of being a mountain.  

However, this is in far eastern Oklahoma, almost in Arkansas, so that means that the elevation changes are major, since middle Oklahoma is about 1300 feet or so, which means there is quite a variation in elevations from Memphis to Denver, even though the trend is up!  

The sprinkler system crew is supposed to be here next week to complete the repairs to the sprinkler system.  It will be nice to have that fixed.  

Apparently “water” is very expensive here, so I”m not sure how much we will use the sprinkler system, but at least we can use it enough that the plants and grass will at least have a  lifeline of some sort.  

I don’t know if Crepe Myrtles take a lot of water or not, they seem to thrive no matter what, but I would hate to lose them.

Apparently the city here uses revenues from utilizes to subsidize city operations.  That was illegal in Tennessee and i have  to agree I see no reason that utilities should be used subsidize the city operations or vice versa (sales taxes be used subsidize the utilities etc., which is very common in this state.

Supposed to get up to 102 degrees or so there today.  (After a certain point, it really doesn’t matter!).  

Field day today.  Actually the heat doesn’t really bother me on my field days, I manage to find cool areas and really don’t mind the heat.  

Full moon is starting to wane, but it is still nice to walk in the moonlight.


That’s it for now, Thursday, July 21, 2016.

No comments: