Sunday, May 01, 2016

2016 Spring May 1 Sunday



50 degrees this morning,  No walk, still have cough and cold.  

Much better, but still have occasional cough and cold (I guess they call it “congestion” ).  I am better, but really wonder why I am suddenly getting so many colds (especially with a cough) this year.

In this case, I really think a reaction to AC in the car at least set it off so I am going to are more careful. Also, when I am out “in the field”, I am going to religiously use disinfectant in my hands every time I get in the car.  

We decided to proceed yesterday with purchasing some LED light bulbs. Part of it was just to get the long life for some problem fixtures that are difficult to change, but we also decided to proceed with LED bulbs for many lights we use a lot to lower the electricity charge.  

Of course, if everyone does that the City will just raise the electric rate to make up the difference. We figure as long as we keep ahead of the game we may save some money.

One thing I really liked about Tennessee was that cities utilities (water,l sewer, electric etc.) had to be “self supporting” and not have a profit or a loss.  

In this state, a city can make any profit on a utility and subsidize the general fund or vice versa.  I think the failure to impose  financial controls is a big mistake and is very misleading for residents.  

What usually results is that cities make huge profits on electric and the “general fund” subsidizes water and sewer.  Why that is true, i don’t know.

What was so good about Tennessee is that the “no profit/no loss” law make cities face the true cost off providing water and sewer.  

Anyway, it makes for very high electric rates as compared to what we had before.  I was astounded at the difference.  

Hopefully the LED lights will make a small difference that will add up to savings. Our air conditioners are apparently inefficient, but we’ll deal with that when the time comes unless we can prove a quick payoff in electric savings by switching to a high efficiency unit.   

Dream this morning  that I couldn’t shake off:

5-1-16;  Dream

Dream I had accepted the City Manager job of a city.  The day I started I was in City Hall, which was a large old building.  

My office didn’t have anything in it but tables and chairs.  

Every time I would come back to the office, 2 or 3 people would be meeting in it and apologize and say they were just used to meeting there since it had been vacant.

fomenting about the bathroom as also weird.  

I kept trying to find the offices of the City Clerk or similar person to get the names and e-mail addresses of the Mayor and Commission so I could notify them I was on the job.  (Remember this is a dream where nothing makes sense), but I couldn’t find the offices or any information on it.  

For some reason, it was a very strong and disturbing dream.  I didn’t forget most of it even though it has been an hour or so since I had it before I wrote it down.

Normally I forget most of the dream within a few minutes.  

The offices seemed to keep changing. 

I don’t recall the conclusion of the dream.

Hopefully the “cold and cough” will continue to get better.  I miss not being able to exercise.  


That’s it for now, Sunday, May 1, 2016:

No comments: