Friday, May 20, 2016

2016 Spring May 20 Friday



57 degrees this morning, Walk 35;22 minutes 

According to “iPhone steps” I walked 5,647 steps, or about 2.75 miles.  Not really sure I believe that. Of course, that does include all walking (with my iPhone with me).  

Mileage on my current  walking shoes is upwards of the estimated life of the shoes, so I am planning on getting some new walking shoes.  Probably one of my more important decisions in terms of my walk each morning.  

Overall, I believe that if I buy a certain quality and fit of shoe, they will work fine.  

While my current shoes feel ok, I probably don’t realize how much they have deteriorated, since the deterioration is so gradual.

The first “recycling” pickup since we moved that we haven’t literally completed filled he recycling cart! It is still close to being full, but I don’t have to stuff things in it.

Years ago I went through a recycling facility, but I’m still not sure I understand exactly the details of exactly how material is recycled.  I may need a refresher visit. My concern has always been if it takes more resources to recycle something than you actually recover, but hopefully they have safeguards in place for that. 

We have now lived in our current house three months.  I don’t think we would sell it for any amount, we like it that much.  I am speaking for myself here.  However, it has almost everything we would reasonably want in a house and it is in an area convenient for us.  

Basically it meets our needs, which is he important thing, at least right now.

Probably the only thing we would really like different is more of covered back patio. That may be something we look at after things settle down.  

We know that something could go wrong, but there that is just the nature of houses.   

We went tot the Home Owners Association Board meeting the other night.  It was interesting, and of course reminded me of a routine City Commission meeting.

While it is on a lot smaller scale, I think it points out how important maintaining standards are. 

Also, it is always encouraging to me that people in the community (or neighborhood in this case) are willing to take the take and trouble to maintain the neighbored and hopefully make it better living for everyone.

Everyday, I see more horrible examples of the gross lack of planning/“crony capitalism” of the “main” city in this area.  I don’t regret moving out  one bit and am glad I don’t live where someone with enough money can casually destroy my neighborhood and house value. 

Some of the commercial developments they have allowed, I am surprised the residents don’t pack city hall and demand changes.  

In one case we saw, they actually raised the elevation of the land next to a housing development so it destroyed all privacy of the houses.  It was absolutely amazing that such a development would be approved and even more amazing that the residents apparently stand for it.

I’ll try to get a picture of it, it is unbelievable what the city allowed.


That’s it for now, Friday, May 20, 2016.  

No comments: