Monday, May 16, 2016

2016 Spring May 16 Monday


58 degrees this morning.  No walk, rain.  (Did do weight exercises)

Yesterday, I mentioned my feelings about “incompetence” and “retired in place”  (regardless of age.)

In my experience (and I have supervised a lot of persons who were “incompetent” , “retired in place” (regardless of experience, skills or abilities) and outstanding workers who were outstanding even with limited skills and abilities.

I always felt (and still feel) that supervision and management are a big part of avoiding “retirement in place”,  (just like coaches can get winners out of persons with average abilities), but it still falls on the person.

Supervision or management can’t explain the persons in business for themselves, some of whom are excellent and some of whom have lost their passion and are simply “retired in place” and are just going through the motions.

Ditto with the position, regardless of duties, some persons are excellent, others not.  It doesn’t matter what the position or business is.  

I have always been a big believer in education and training, based on the fact if a person doesn’t have the tools or knowledge, they will be limited regardless of their abilities and incentive.  

I have seen people rediscover their “bliss” from education and training and perhaps the boredom of performing their duties in the “same old way” which can be boring.  

I think what got me started on the was seeing Vin Scully who has maintained his excellence and obvious love for his job, even after 67 years and started wondering what made some people love their jobs and do a good job and others who never (or perhaps worse) lost their incentive. 

I know it isn’t pay, or even working conditions, etc. 

Maybe we (society) push people to make decisions too fast.  The current culture of encouraging persons to not feel they had to stay with a specific job is probably good and a way of helping people not become “retired in place” or just going through the motions.  

Actually, I think there is a place and jobs for person who don’t want their “bliss” from their jobs, ad I see nothing against that if they don’t let it affect their competence or work on the job.  

Not everyone’s interest and abilities and “bliss” can be converted to a career.

Of course, the main thing that got me thinking about this is the purchase of our house and  the Inspector who didn’t do his job since he was just going through the motions.  Not that he wasn’t technically competent, or even knowingly didn’t do the job.  He had just lost interest and was obviously doing it of the money, and he didn’t know what else he wanted to do.

It was obvious to us when he don’t inspect an attic because of “no key for the padlock” (get the key) or the sprinkler system because it was “winterized”  (dewinterize and test it) and who knows what else he failed to to catch.  

But in the end, his failure to fully do his job and his lack of interest led him to “going through the motions” and failing to fully inspect the house, leading us to have to pay out money we should’t have had to and I”m sure it is happening to many other people.

I think the best way to describe it is they just try to get by with “just good enough”, but not really ethical.  If their “working in place” results in harm to other people I think they have an obligation to either bear down and do it anyway or get into other business.  The same with the Real Agent Agents who hire them because they are quick and fast, since they aren’t really doing their jobs. 

By the way, I hear a lot of opinion about “government workers”.  Believe me, while it happens with government workers, i know government workers who give their best regardless of poor pay, poor working conditions and micromanagement and mismanagement  by elected officials and the “just enough” and “retired in place” and incompetence's just as great in the private sector (I believe ever greater) in the private sector. 

By the way, the word I was trying to think of yesterday was “vent”.  I I don’t get hired (or didn’t get hired”) because I vented” in a polite way on a blog, I wouldn’t have been a good fit for the organization anyway!


That’s it for now, Monday, May 16, 2016.

No comments: