Wednesday, May 04, 2016

2016 Spring May 4 Wednesday



51 degrees this morning, no walk.  Still have bronchitis, not near as bad, but….

Time seems to be moving on without me when I am sick, or maybe time seems to stand still.  

Even though  I am not extremely sick, that is kind of the way I feel due to the nature of bronchitis  (I may even learn to spell it before this is over!).

Coughing etc (i.e. the things associated with it that are so disgusting) keep you from basically doing anything productive since you may start coughing.  I can’t even really start a phone conversation.  

Took a “sick day” yesterday.  Couldn't help but do a little work and monitor my e-mail, but overall just tried to get better.  

Feel better today, (this morning), although cough is still present in the background.  Probably will work as an “office day” today.  

Frankly, if I had to go into the office, I probably wouldn’t have worked Friday, Monday, Tuesday or today since I wouldn’t have wanted to expose everyone else to what I have, plus I am hardly pleasant to be around right now..

Anyway, at least I am on the road to improvement, now I need to figure out what is causing me to develop bronchitis (or whatever it is) so often. 

Sick Leave may be one of the best indicators of a person sometimes!  I have seen people who never have any sick leave, but who actually are never really sick and are basically using it as vacation, to people who hate to take Sick Leave for anything.  

Probably there is some kind of middle ground for Sick Leave.  “Use it or Lose It”,  doesn’t seem entirely fair, but some of the programs for not using it probably actually encourage people to come in sick.  

I always considered it somewhat like insurance, in that if I didn’t use it, it was there for me if I developed serious illness or had an accident.   Of course, every place I ever worked you could accumulate it over the years, many employers are not nearly as accommodating.  

Of course, at my age, I definitely am glad to have as much as possible in the way of sick leave available, and, in any event, if I have accumulated sick leave I can apply it to what little retirement I may get as “time worked” for retirement pay purposes, which could make it much more valuable in the future than it is now.

However, as I mentioned before, Sick Leave usage became a way of judging someone’s character, again realizing that Sick Leave was for persons who were sick, and “sick” is sometimes a matter of judgement and some persons had medical problems that required them to use more Sick Leave.  

It really isn’t hard to determine who is abusing Sick Leave, it is difficult to figure out what to do about it without it making it difficult for those who didn’t abuse it.   

Probably the best system (which isn’t available to most companies of course) was the Air Force where if you called in sick you also went to the Doctor provided by the Air Force, who decided how long you had to be off etc.  

Sick Leave was actually unlimited, you just needed to actually be considered sick!  

Anyway, I doubt it if I will be returning to exercise until maybe Friday, but I am looking forward to getting on with my life after this  episode is over, but I will be concerning on prevention!


That’s it for now, Wednesday, May 4, 2016

No comments: