Thursday, May 05, 2016

2016 Spring May 5 Thursday



49 degrees this morning, not walk (still have bronchitis)

In a way I almost dislike this time of year as much as Winter, as the temperature  jumps around and I wait for it to become warm and stay warm.   It doesn’t help that I frequently get colds etc. this time of year, although never as bad as this year as been for that.

I always try not to “live in the future”, waiting for another time to do something or take action “when it is a better time”.  

So I enjoy this time of year as I’ve come to appreciate each time of the year, even though I prefer it not be Winter!

I can remember some key points in my life when I realized I couldn’t wait for things to be “perfect’ to take certain actions.  On the other hand, I think you need to realize that maybe there are some barriers because it may not be time for action yet!

I can remember when advised that a “third of my life” was probably over (I hope not that much now:).  and it was time for me to start living.  

It wasn’t said in the sense of go out and party, but rather in then sense of making decisions and living with the consequences of decisions.  

In this case, it was something as simply as buying a car while I was in the Air Force.  I didn’t absolutely need one, but it would greatly expand my life to have one.  

No, it wasn’t a car salesperson, it was a very trusted person who had no financial interest in what I did!

Anyway, back then a car opened up your life like a smart phone or computer does now., and i suppose a car still does also.  

Anyway, it was a good decision, not because of the car itself necessarily, or even what I did with car,  but because it did get me out of the rut i was in at the time. 

It was one of those decisions that are important because a decision was made and not for what the decision even actually was.

This may be a little off the subject, but probably one of the more important things I ever did was the summer between my Freshman and Sophomore year of college I went to Denver for the Summer to work at Samsonite making suitcases.  I probably didn’t actually have a job when I went out there (I had written them a letter), but I worked there that summer.

Again, it wasn’t the decision, it was the difference experience.  It provided me with work experience, introduced me to whole new worlds.  It is an experience that I expect made a lot of changes in my life and my way of thinking.  

I actually lived in a neighborhood with a completely different culture, and working at a factory is obviously a lot different than working on a farm!  

I like to think I developed more tolerance and compassion due to my experiences, although some experiences can make you more intolerant.  For some reason, that summer I didn’t have any really bad experiences.  

I definitely learned the limitations of public transportation, got a glimpse into what life would be like as a factory worker and certainly to some degree what life in a big city was about, at least in the sense of the central city area and living with a limited income.

I also obtained an appreciation for street corner tamales, something I never had the pleasure of experiencing after than summer.  


That’s it for now, Thursday, May 5, 2016.

No comments: