Monday, March 03, 2014

Winter 2014 March 3 Monday

18 degrees this morning, light ice covering everything.  I was surprised that my Commercial Appeal was delivered.  Obviously I didn't walk or go cycling this morning (in addition to having the flat tire on my bike.)
Ice covered almost everything, including our poor weeping willow (i'll get a picture) which i doubt will survive through to the Spring.  Roads are reported to be slick.  Several trees down, maybe now some people will realize why the City had a program of eliminating hazardous trees that may damage property or kill or injure people if they weren't removed.  Another outcome of the "no service" city.  Almost daily, I read of cities who are emphasizing bike and per paths as ways of attracting economic development and residential development instead  of becoming a "city of no services" in some kind of demonic, ignorant  attempt to send Lakeland back to the past.  Of course, they plan to "encourage economic development" by eliminating regulations and letting businesses do what they want and ignoring the resident who have committed our major investment (our houses) here, not just a branch of some franchise who wants to put in bright lights and big signs and avoid expenses for such things as traffic studies etc.  Such is the reason we are hurrying up to get our house ready to sell.  While 'Bright Lights, Big City" is a popular book, it doesn't make a good city to live for many people, especially when the attitude seems to be to cut, cut, cut without any reason or plans.  Short sighted thinking for political grandstanding is all it is. 
The sun is out, making the ice sparkle (and hopefully sending the ice away). 
March of 2014.  I have to admit time goes fast, whether you want it to or not.  In a way, weather like this is kind of like an event (such as a major hospitalization, a death in the family, a wedding, a birth etc.) where time seems to stop during the event and resumes after the event is over and for the most part everyone understands why time has stopped, or perhaps more correctly, been suspended for the event.  
Proceeding with China journey.  I have had fun looking at flight schedules, hotels and trying to figure out how it all relates.  It has been interesting to learn about China.  I will have the opportunity to meet with my counterparts which will be interesting and informative, as well as see another culture.  (A bicycle culture by the way.)
A friend noted over the weekend that over 50% of internet access is now from mobile devices.  I also read where it laptops, tablets and smartphones may merge into one slightly larger smartphone.  I expect the real future is completely different and probably unimagined now.  With "smart glasses", smart rings and who knows what else, who knows what the future holds.  I don't mean that in a negative way, just a thought. That thought occurred to me as I use my iPad more and more.  It is an amazing device, and obviously so is this iPhone.  They will need to work on spell check, and "predictive text".  Not quite as bad as Amazon thinking they can tell me what books I will like, but close.
Hopefully the ice will disappear soon.  

No comments: