Monday, March 10, 2014

Winter 2014 March 11 Monday

39 degrees this mooring, but warmed up to a nice day.
Large part of the day was spent throwing stuff out/getting it ready to donate.  I am trying to use the concept of if I haven't used it and don't see a specific future need for it, it goes out.  (With the exception of my Hot Wheels, although I think they meet the criteria to keep). As usual, the books are the hardest, although I am making progress.  
Started the day off with a very early morning meeting (7:00 a.m., but had to leave at 6 a.m. to get there).    Good meeting, but the travel time will make it difficult to attend.  
Rode bike this afternoon (missed this morning due to the early morning).  Felt good and had the chance to see a large number of people and does to get into the terminal.  I am hoping I can build up to do the "Ride with the Summer" in 2015 and also I may get to chance to ride in "Free Wheel"  (Oklahoma bike ride of about 500 milesI), Ride across Kansas and the Ride Across Tennessee this year as a way to prepare for it.
I will be so glad to see flowers bloom and the trees turn green.  It has been a long winter.
Saw a story on 60 Minutes about how companies keep data about everyone and then try to get the info to sell to a marketing company, which leads to having over 1,000 spam e-mails!  Not only can they follow my data, they can provide information on where I go etc, which is kind of scary.   I may turn off my GPS on my phone, although I don't know why anyone would want to see what I am doing!  After reading "The Circle" I decided to take some steps to keep more information about myself private, so the 60 Minutes story came at the right time.  They mentioned two companies "harvest" and store the data, but don't sell it, which is almost scarier than the companies htt sell it.
Discovered today that the Tennessee Employment Security Commission is a joke.  Spent about two hours trying to get through with a simple question before I gave up.  I wonder how many others give up?  Just another example of the fat cat politicians bragging about "streamlining" or cutting is just political BS, they are actually drastically eliminating services pandering to the lowest common denominator to buy votes by screaming how they are "saving" money by hurting  to some of the people who need the services the most. 
I expect this will bite them hard eventually.

No comments: