Saturday, March 15, 2014

Winter 2014 March 14 Friday

47 degrees this morning, but developed into a beautiful day.
I read a comic strip "Zits" that really hit home.  I"ll try to include a copy.   It concerns passwords, I just laughed and laughed about it since it really hit home!
Nice visit with Aliene's brother and sister and their spouses tonight.  Sometimes, no matter what you do, the best times you remember are something like eating takeout pizza and visiting for several hours!   Same as last week when we visited with our friends from Virginia, it's not the tours or anything else you really remember and enjoy, it's the times you just sit down and visit.
Deep into the novel "White Fire"  I don't know it is about a novel that takes me to get involved anymore.  I have learned not to waste my time on something I"m not interested in, so I just steel myself to quit a novel that hasn't grabbed me by a certain time.  I'm not sure when that time is.  Some novels, which are nothing but repeats of earlier novels, I can drop fast.  Yet other novels, which are basically the same thing, grab me!
I can remember when I was in college and for a few years after that, staying up all night reading a novel or book that had grabbed me. (The novel "It" by Stephen King even had me checking the sink and bathtub drains at 2 a.m. in the morning!  It was a while before I truly trusted drains again!. Later I read where he said he should have added an "sh" to the book title, but I really enjoyed it.)
One of the hardest things about giving away books (I never throw the away, I always hope they will have another read by someone) is i always think I will want to read it again!  I have the entire "John Jakes" serial novels he wrote for the centennial, that I probably will never read again. all of the Harry Potter books, all of the Hobbit/Lord of the Ring series, the high school literature books I read in the third grade (and probably never understood for a couple of years in many cases), John Grisham books, Stephen King books, David Badacci,  all my Tony Hillerman books, my Lincoln collection (that I will never get rid of) and many others.
Some of my legendary reads were "Gone with the Wind"  (read straight through from about 4 p.m. to about 7 a.m. the next morning I may be a little off on the times), the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings, 36 straight hours, with some time for naps I am sure.  (Actually I was working, I had to be "on call" and was supposed to stay away, I believe for 18 hours, but I was pulling a double shift).  I never read a book in one sitting anymore, the last book I read in one sitting was "Bright Lights, Big City", I read it as an early snow carperted   the city.  I'm not sure why it fascinated me so much, but I really enjoyed reading it.  Now I am lucky to read a chapter at a time and finish it in several weeks. Maybe "sometime"  I will do it again and finish my books.  I really like Nicholas Evans books, (The Horse Whisperer, the Loop, the Smoke Jumper), but he write so few books, I think those are the only there he has written, although he has written a book about how languages are becoming extinct ($42 in paperback!)
I feel about authors the way people feel about their children or family, you hate to mention one of them in particular because you are scared you will leave one out and you really love them all in their special way since they are all individually important.
Actually I have read more the  past several weeks, "The Circle", Anne Hilllerman's book (I believe the Spiderwomans Daughter) and now White Fire.

No comments: