Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Winter 2014 March 19 Wednesday

54 degrees this morning, windy, so still very cool.  Spring is almost here.  I did see some Crocuses the other day (or what I call Crocus), which to me means Spring is here, with maybe a freeze or two left!
When we go out to eat with Katherine and Kali, we are probably a test to the server.  Kali is a vegan, Aliene can't tolerate gluten and I try to avoid carbs (except in fruit and vegetables).  Katherine will eat anything if she is in the mood for it.  Most restaurants are actually unfazed by it.  
It is strange what is difficult to toss or give away.  Some of the smallest things, many that I got free or have little actual value that I could buy anywhere for very little, are the most difficult to throw away.  For example, the "gimme" notebooks that I have lugged around for 10 years.  Surely it is time to toss or give them to a good home that will use them!  Ditto on many books, especially technical books for devices I no longer have!
Some books I will never give away, including "Watership Down", my collection of books on Lincoln, my Tony Hillerman books (including paperbacks), my collection of literature books I read when I was a child, my copy of "SnowCrash", Silent Spring etc.  As they say, so many books, so little time.  I love each book in it's own way.  Even the books I know I will never read, I have a hard time discarding.  My one positive factor is that if someone wants to read it, I will give it to her without pause.  Books need to be read!  
I actually don't have any real problem with e-books or e-magazines or e-papers.  Many bigger books are difficult to read since they get heavy.  On a long trip, having books on my iPad vs. lugging a bunch of books is not a difficult decision.  Ditto my subscription to a service that provides e-magazines for $10 per month, and my e editions of the Wall Street Journal, New York Times and Commercial Appeal.  I still read (and greatly prefer) the physical newspaper, but at least the e-edition is there.  They still have a lot of little problems come up, but overall they do a good product.
T shirts are the hardest thing to get rid of, since many of them are souvenirs and remind me of an event or person etc., especially a run, bike ride or some special event.  The ones that are too big, I finally packed away.  I believe I have compromised with Aliene that, of the ones that fit me that I know I will wear "sometime", I am packing them away, to see the light of day elsewhere.
However, I don't want to become like some people I know, and spend more than an item is worth to store it for years!  (This usually happens with furniture, and with the exception of my library card case, I have little attachment to furniture).  I was rather surprised at my impressive collection of knives I have picked up over the years.  They are small and easy to store, but when I need one.....
Just like pens and pencils, I have a bundle of them, but when I need one I can't find one!
That's it for today.

No comments: