Thursday, August 08, 2013

Summer 2013: August 8


81 degrees this morning.  Some lightning (no rain yet), so I just walked and didn't cycle.
Hoping the new plants in the yard will furbish (I think that is the right word).  I hate to see a plant die, even more when it cost so much to plant it!  
Crepe Myrtle are so beautiful this time of year.  I love Spring with all the flowers, new grass and leaves etc. and the reason I like Crepe Myrtle and Day Lilies so much is that they bloom in the late Summer (I guess "bloom" is the correct word).  I like the beauty of annuals, but I hate that they only live one season, although I guess that is their purpose.
I got a "candidate" brochure put on my mailbox last night.  Not "in" my mailbox, that is fine, but "on" my mailbox.  I don't know why people who are running for elected office (or their supporters) think they can break the law, actually technically a federal law.  I should have left it on the mailbox for the mail carrier to deal with, but instead i just tore it up.  (It didn't matter whose it was. Illegal is illegal.)
The "forest" in back of my house seems to lurk in the summer, when it is full of trees.  At night, it could actually even be the scene for a scary movie.  However, I look at it as having hundreds of friendly birds, and the home for many other animals, probably including some I don't really want to think about!
I miss my bird feeders (or rather the birds they attracted), but I don't want to deal with the raccoons, and the pests who come up to feed on the feed the birds drop.  
When I was a child, I remember birds "teasing" the cats by flying at them, occasionally the bird would get nailed by the cat. Fortunately, no cats ever came around the bird feeders, at least that I am aware of. 

No comments: