Saturday, August 17, 2013

Summer 2013 August 17


70/73 degrees this morning, maybe a warmup is coming!  In a way, this has been a "lost summer" in that actual summer weather was sporadic at best.
Listening to a book on "willpower".  My mind wanders, especially after listening to the great book  "Steve Jobs".  I believe there are some books (or maybe subjects/types of writing) which do not just translate well for listening.  Or maybe I'm just not all that interested in the subject.
They did discuss the value of "meditation".  I don't know if my naps can be considered meditation, but I value them.  I take a nap in the morning (every morning) after my exercise and shower, a nap at noon, when possible, and a nap after work.  I find that time is valuable for decision making and preparing.  
I mentioned to someone once that sometimes I could go on a walk or a bike ride and basically write a memo in the head and it would be ready for me to just write down when I got back.  To some degree, meditation is that way, except I almost always take a nap or at least fall into an inactive subconscious state where I am not actively trying to do anything (if that makes any sense).
Although form of meditation I find valuable is writing my thoughts down.  I have gone back to a private journal where I can rage and rant, not random thoughts or plan,  knowing that it is unlikely that anyone (including me) will ever read the words.  

No comments: