Saturday, August 31, 2013

Summer 2013 August 31

79/80 degrees this morning.  A little muggy. 
Last day of August of 2013.  To say the year has flown by would be to minimize it.
The early morning has it's own little world, and I am both a participant and an observer in it.  Almost every morning I wave to the newspaper carrier, the Walgreens truck driver (they apparently change at this Walgreens at the time I ride my bike by) and, of course, the other persons who work out what could be considered early (in the 4 a.m. to 5 .am. range).  
When I think about it, there are a lot of little subcultures we exist in daily, from our drive to work, have coffee at Starbucks on Saturday morning and breakfast at Steak n Shake on Sunday morning.  We get to "know" people and then wonder what happened when they disappear and never return.  Since in most cases we never know their names, or frequently even their occupations, just that they occupy that little subculture and we meet daily or weekly or even monthly or several times a year (in the case of the Hampton Inn we stay at on the way to OKC where they recognize us by name as we walk in the door, and ditto with the Hilton Garden Inn in OKC) where we truly minor actors in their stage of life.
The wonderful start of a 3-day weekend!  I love it!  The empty slate lies before me, although I know I won't get close to getting done what I plan!
Went to a new restaurant last night "Jacksons on the Square", a wonderful place.  Service was excellent and some of the best blackened catfish (with crab on top) that I have ever had!  It was a truly wonderful experience and it wasn't all that expensive.  Certainly not cheap, but affordable for an occasional meal. 

No comments: