Wednesday, April 06, 2016

2016 Spring April 6 Wednesday



67 degrees this morning (23-30 mph winds), Walk 48:33 minutes

I do a double-take every time I write “April 2016”.  It is difficult to conceive of how fast time goes and of course the older you get the faster it goes.  Since I get older every day…..

Extended my weight program and so far it feels good.  I added a bar and weight bench so I can put weights on and do bench press etc. type exercises.  

I have been using my bench and bar bells and it just isn’t the same as the bar with weights.  So far, I am using only the bar which is 45 lbs by itself, plus I am doing the same exercises with the bar bells I did before.  

My muscles can feel the additional training!  Of course, that is why I am doing it, so I can gradually (and I mean VERY gradually) increase the weights.  

Also got my boxing bag and punching bag set up (I still need to get an “S hook” for my punching bag), but I haven’t started using it yet.

Thinking of time, I am reminded of what Scott Peck said in one of his books that I have always remembered. 

He said that a person could probably do anything (like fix a car etc.) if they just took the time to do it.  I have always remembered that and when I start to get hyper about something taking too much much time, I remember what he said about “just take the time” to do it right.

Of course, as he emphasizes, a person decides if he wants to take the time to do something and may decide it isn’t worth the time to do it yourself.

While I have always admired people who can “do it themselves”  (fix cars, home repairs etc.), even if I was disposed that  way (I am very much “unmechanically” inclined, I have absolutely no skills or abilities in that area), I’m not sure if I would want to commit the time.  

I have had (and discarded the idea quickly) dreams of fixing up a house, a car etc. and realize I not only don’t have the ability and aptitude, I don’t want to commit the time.  Especially as I get older, and I want to do other things!

Still, the concept that I could do a lot more is good to know  Sometimes, I do do something just to prove to myself I can do it.

As I sometimes mention (not at the time, or probably until  years later), I barely passed “shop” when i was in high school and I don’t think I got much past building a “meat pounding board”, so my skills and maybe my interest were very limited!  

One thing I did do, I did take two years of typing in High School, because I enjoyed typing.  This has served me well, especially when personal computers became available as a routine matter.

I thought of this this morning as, yet again, I was untangling some earphone and charging cables and wondering it I should follow my impulse and just rip everything away.  No, I take my time and untangle everything!

It is strange how one comment or thought you see can affect your life so much.

There are other concepts that may have been a  throwaway thought by someone that I  read or hear and suddenly it becomes one of the foundations I live by!

Office day today. I need one to catch up on my paperwork, especially after an “interesting” day in the field yesterday and last Friday.


That’s it for now, Wednesday, April 6, 2016.

No comments: