Monday, April 04, 2016

2016 Spring April 4 Monday



58 degrees this morning, Walk 47:54 minutes

We made some major advancements in moving yesterday when we reorganized the garage.  It is now easier to get to the cars etc.  (This was Aliene’s idea.)

Perhaps as important to me, after at least ten years of dragging around a “heavy bag”, holder (which is a major piece of equipment) and punching bag, i actually not have them set up so I can use them!   Actually I have had them about 20 years, probably 23 years.   

Now that I have the heavy bag set up (which is the name for  boxing bag, it is called “heavy” because it weighs about 100 lbs.), if I use it great, if I don’t, I’ll get rid of it.  

I also have a “punching bag”, which is a lot of fun, but I need to find an “S hook” so I can install it.  The “punching bag” is the little bag that you just hit fast.  

Also, finally got a bench press set, so I can resume lifting weights.  I currently have been doing only barbells, now I can use the “Long bar” for more exercises.

It probably took us 4 hours to get it together, but I used it for the fist time this morning and it was worth the money.  (It was not cheap, it is a good quality piece of equipment.  Since I lift primarily by myself, safety was a major concern.) 

Anyway, that will allow me to have a full program of exercise, with weights, the punching bag/heavy bag, bicycling, swimming and the machines at the YMCA.  Assuming I can find the time do all of this!

Didn’t really get any inspirational thoughts from my listening on my book during my walk this morning.

One thought, Aristotle’s thoughts and writings were so respected that many people thought his word was the “final word” and couldn’t be improved on!

In a way, because of this, he may have stalled philosophical thoughts and concepts  since no one wanted to disagree with him!

Probably one theme I always tried to emphasize when I was supervising was that all opinions were important and honest disagreement (including with me) was important.   

As noted during my thoughts on “change”, change is going to happen and the only way you are gong to be prepared (as much as anyone can be) for change is to be open to new ideas and not  assume that any concept is necessarily  true in new circumstances.

Starting to get ready for one of our annual events, for probably the past 11 or more years is attending the CMA Fest in Nashville.  Of course, it is a lot more effort to attend now than when we lived in Memphis, but perhaps that makes it only more important and fun.

Unfortunately, it is becoming popular enough that hotels, airlines etc are exploiting it for “maximum profit”, which I assume is ok, but it may well kill the event if it gets so expensive that most people can’t afford to attend it, unless you live in or near Nashville.  

Baseball has started, which is a true harbinger of spring and summer.  For some reason, baseball is the only “professional” sport we really watch much.  We never watch pro basketball, rarely watch professional football (until the playoffs) and don’t really watch any other professional sports.

I do like car racing.  For some reason, the past few years I have followed Formula I, and hope I can attend one sometime.  I like NASCAR also, but wish they would adopt a shorter format. 

Doctor appointment this morning, then an “office day” the rest of the day.  Supposed to be, like yesterday, a beautiful Spring day!


That’s it for now, Monday, April 4, 2016.

No comments: