Thursday, April 14, 2016

2016 Spring April 14 Thursday



51 degrees this morning Walk 48:22 minutes

Listening to “War and Peace” during my walk.  I have to admit I am somewhat surprised that I am enjoying it, although I expect that I will begin to lose track of the characters.  

One of the downsides of  audiobooks (at least for me) is that for novels, if there are a lot of characters, I can lose track of where and who they are.  

The story line of War and Peace is interesting, plus the characters bring some surprising insights.  

I expect I will need to sit down and read it sometime. 

I am beginning to realize the reason it is considered one of the greatest novels ever  written.  

Of course, I have only listened to about 1 hour and 45 minutes of a 62 hour book (about 47 hours at a pace of 1.25%, if I am figuring right.  

Aliene and I have been planning our trip to the CMA Fest this year.  We debated flying and came within a button click of purchasing tickets last night, when we again considered driving.  Normally we probably would fly, but we are going to schedule in visiting friends etc. also, so it may simply be more flexible to drive.  

The fare was actually reasonable, and I was able to work out a reasonable car rental, but the flexibility of driving our car (the hybrid, so the cost of gas isn’t really a problem) is also attractive on what is basically a short trip.  

My new weight program is going well, I am developing a routine.  I am aiming to repetitions and not worrying much about the weight I am lifting.  

I have found that attempting too heavy of a “lift” can injure you, but if I try too meany repetitions, I just don’t achieve it and minimize the  chances of getting hurt that way.

I have the boxing bag set up, but not the punching bag, hopefully get going this week.

I talked with a business yesterday that is the victim of “ransomware” on their computer system.  The people who do that need to be hunted down and prosecuted.  They create a lot of pain and suffering for the money they get.  

I have decided to start using VPN all the time and am in the process of strengthening all my passwords.  I already delete any e-emails with attached files etc., but realize I still could get caught.

I hadn’t been too worried, I have good backup (plus, thinking about it, my files aren’t worth much anyway!), however I understand that now they have “ransomware”  that actually attacks the backup, not the computer storage itself.  

Anyway, they cost the business a lot more than anything they can get out of it, and I really feel they need to have a way to  hunt them down and put them out of business.  

The local Police Department found some “skimmers” on gas pumps in the city and warned people about having their credit card numbers being stolen.  They named the gas stations (oddly enough almost all of them one brand, or maybe not so odd!) and several people noted there credit cars had had items charged that they didn’t charge.  

The thieves apparently steal the credit card information and somehow copy it to a “Visa” gift card and then use the gift card.  A real racket.  

The stations can actually almost totally prevent this by security means, so I am going to use the stations that have this security!


That’s it for now, Thursday, April 14, 2016.

No comments: