Sunday, April 10, 2016

2016 Spring April 10 Sunday


59 degrees this morning (windy); Walk 4i7:45 minutes

Finished the book on philosophy this morning during my walk.  Looking forward to starting another book tomorrow morning.  

 I really think I will start “War and Peace” and see if I can listen to (and follow) the entire novel.  I might have to read something about it before I start listening to it.

Over 64 hours long, which will be the longest audiobook I have undertaken.  Hopefully I will like it,but if I don’t,  I’ll stop listening to it.  Life is simply too short to waste time, and I have a lot of audiobooks, podcasts etc. that I have waiting for me!

Getting totally disgusted with the actions of some businesses.  I really wonder about their ethics.  

As I noted before, obviously the big push for “ethics training” in the Universities and business schools in the 70’s and 80’s apparently just taught businesses and government workers  how to profit from being unethical, not how to practice true ethics.  Not true for everyone, but….

Just a few examples, Delta raising the price of the flights I expressed interest in before I could buy them, Amazon raising prices arbitrarily based on some membership they peddle or the time of day etc. without telling you, and of course, there are always the phone and cable companies, the ultimate  in hidden fees, fees they sneak on your bill etc.

Cox Cable is especially bad.  They send a five page bill they can’t even read themseleve  and, when challenged, in my opinion, they simply lie about their charges. 

As an example, when we moved, we were excitedly advised there were “no charges for moving the cable service” etc.  Of course, the first bill they double billed us and had $150 in “installation” charges” and some fees I had never heard of.  

Of course when I called, they took them off, but I have to wonder how many of these I miss or other people miss.  

Of course, when we decided to add an extension, we were told $50 and charged $75.  When I called she said “but they hooked up the tv also”.  I advised her they “forgot” to include the cable box, we had to go get that ourselves and install it and there was never mentioned there was a large for “hooking up the tv”, we were advised it was $50 for the entire situation.  

To add another attempt by Cox Cable, we paid a set amount (charged to our credit card separate from the bill) for “MLB Extra Innings” when I noted it was about 50:% more if you spread it over 4 months (something they don’t bother to tell you!).  

Of course on the first bill, I am charged a payment for “MLB Extra Innings”.  What more, I call to complain and am advised that is the way they handle it, my credit card wasn’t charged.  Of course, I check and find my credit card WAS charged!

If I did this kind of stuff, I’d be thrown in jail for theft!  They just laugh it off and profit from the people who don’t catch it!  Disgusting.

Of course, the State Attorney General is out spending money chasing ghosts and filling costly (paid by the state) political (in his eyes beneficial to him) lawsuits against the federal government instead of watching the chicanery of businesses in the state!  

I expect they contribute a nice political contribution to him each election!

What is so bad, this is considered the normal course of business for these companies, to add nuisance fees, “mistakes” in billing (always in favor of the company of course) etc!


That’s it for now, Sunday, April 10, 2016.

No comments: