Thursday, April 28, 2016

2016 Spring April 28 Thursday



55 degrees this morning, walk 46:55 minutes.

Field Day to my new (although temporary) area yesterday.  As before, I enjoyed it and also really noted the difference in both the businesses etc., culture and people.

The mix of businesses is interesting.  Probably a majority of the businesses are individually owned as opposed to corporately owned.  

There doesn’t seem to be much difference in commitment to their business, except that the individual owners obviously for the most part have much longer tenure and many of the owners are from even smaller towns in the area.  

Of course, many of the stores are aimed at visitors to the community who are there for the historical  aspect or antique and other shopping, so it is somewhat unique in that respect. 

I am always amazed at the variety of business, I have to wonder who patronizes them, it seems there are almost too many for the number of people, but many of them seem to survive.  

It must take a particular commitment to start and run your own business.  So many fail, yet you see a lot of them also survive and thrive.  

Started coughing again yesterday, and I am pretty sure now that I have some type of asthma or allergy.  Cold air or even a cold wind seems to set it off.

I coughed a lot last night and it seemed to go away.  This was after a day in the car with the air conditioner on and blowing high and getting in and out a lot etc. 

My cough seemed to go away so I decided to go ahead and walk.  I did fine until I got home and set in front of a fan, which my coughing etc. started again.  

Of course, it could be I am allergic to something outside and am having a delayed reaction. 

If I can find the reason, I certainly will do everything possible to avoid whatever causes it.  It is very miserable to say the least, probably just as miserable for people around me!

When my eyes start watering, I have to assume it is an allergy rather than a cold.  

After a lull, it seems like earthquakes are suddenly coming back, although in different areas.  They remain relatively low strength, but appear to be increasing in strength.  

Nextdoor.com has become very popular.  At as suggestion, I put “nextdoor.com”and the name of my addition into Google and came right up with the ability to contact a potential 392 residents in my addition.  

I haven’t seen a lot about the impact of it on neighborhoods and residents.  

I personally thought it would increase public activity and interaction etc,  The City here is tied in with nextdoor.com, which helps some communication, but the City is somewhat non-transparent, even though they do seem to pay attention to what residents want.  

In another city, they have found that  the “leads” in nextdoor.com frequently delete any political reference they disagree with (especially on local politics) so that stifles the potential of NextDoor.  I can understand the reason for someone to delete inappropriate comments etc., but as long as they delete comments  they disagree with, Nextdoor will become more like classified section of the newspaper.  

However, the potential of it is considerable, in bringing communities together and have the capacity to interact with local government and organizations.


That’s it for now, Thursday, April 28, 2016.  

No comments: