Saturday, April 23, 2016

2016 Spring April 23 2016 Saturday

2016 Spring April 23 2016 Saturday


56 degrees this morning.  Walk 47:21 minutes (actually an estimate, I forgot to click the stopwatch off).

Weekend is here!  Hopefully is will stay warm this weekend.

Broadband data caps article appeared in the Wall Street Journal yesterday.  I have been thinking for several years, wondering how people are going to have the data necessary for “cutting the cord” if you watch much or even use the Internet much.   

The article actually is relatively positive, it notes that more internet providers are providing “unlimited” data plans, with the logical (to me) plan that the customers who use more data pay for it.

Of course I am use to thinking of utilities (water, sewer, electric etc.), the cost isn’t in  providing the service, the  coat is in making sure the service is there for “peak” use.  

Since “peak” use can incur substantial capacity costs, providing for “peak” use can cost a lot more than a provider actually charges for the service.

Kind of like pouring water through a funnel, the capacity of the funnel is limited and to increase the size of the funnel for “peak” uses will incur substantial costs in increasing the size of the funnel versus the few times you will need the capacity.

Makes sense to me that the persons who use the capacity should pay for the capacity.  Of course determining the “true cost” of additional capacity s always the question.  

I know when I had to “stream” CNBC etc. on my Apple TV, I was close to the data limit, considering date use also by computers, phones etc.  That limit has now tripled, apparently in recognition of increased usage. 

Thinking more about the city I wrote about yesterday.  As I noted, it appeared to be relatively successful in putting a combination of antique shops, historical sites and buildings and the Interstate to appear to be a thriving city and community, even though  it is not the most desirable terrain or environment and it has a lot of problem areas.

Hopefully the city (and all cities) is  preparing for the future by providing advanced technology.  

Of course it is always somewhat of a gamble, since a lot of money can be spent for what is advanced technology today, which becomes obsolete before the capital expenses can be recovered.  Happens every day!

It’s not like computers I remember a conference in the 80’s where the speaker said “if you spend $700 for a laptop and you get $700 of utility/value in three months, who cares if it’s is obsolete in three months if you got your value?  Just busy the next advanced computer and get more value from that!

Maybe cities and businesses need to take that attitude although the problem is knowing at what point the investment exceeds the value of the   capital outlays.  

Questions of our times!

Another dream I wanted to note:

4-22-16 Dream

Dreamed I was with Aliene and apparently a baby.

For some reason we are in a series of restaurants and hotels.  We appeared to be eating a meal in each.

I would park the car, and in least two hotels, three was a speeding are going through the parking lot when I walked in or came out.

Don’t remember what we ate or anything.

All of the hotels were in areas with dense trees around them, kind of reminded me of the area  Hilton Head Island.  Only been there once but that was where it reminded me of.

A very strong dream, seemed like reality when I first woke up and took me some time to shake off the dream and realize it was only a dream.

That’s it for now, Saturday, April 23, 2016.

No comments: