Friday, April 15, 2016

2016 Spring April 15 Friday


57 degrees this morning, walk 47:44 minutes 

Friday, the end of the week and April 15, April is half over!  

I will be spending the weekend finishing up taxes, which aren’t due until Monday this year, so I have an extra weekend.

Actually I pretty well have them done, when I realized I was going to have to pay in this year, I just delayed it since there is no reason to send in the tax return and money early.

As I mentioned yesterday, I don’t mind paying my fair share, but the tax system really isn’t fair at all, especially when “business’ persons who are essentially thieves and loot companies even get big tax breaks yet!

Got our first utility bill in our new house and in our new city.  Apparently the city partially runs the city based on “profits” from their utilities, so we are looking a doing what we can to reduce electricity usage, putting in “electric eyes” to automatically turn off lights, looking at installing LED lights etc.  

We were also advised we might want to consider a more efficient air conditioning system, but the upfront cost is substantial.  

While there are a lot of things I really admire about this city, it  appears it also is run by the old style small town cliques who fund their pet projects which benefit the few a the expense of the many.   

Of course, I really admire  this city for their protection of residents and awareness of planning and somewhat environmental awareness regarding lights pollution and promotion of trees and recycling.  

I haven't gotten too involved in getting information and keeping up with our new City, but I will do more as we settle in etc. 

The Presidential campaign is heating un to a  climax, probably at the conventions.  It has been, and continues to be, a strange campaign and I expect will be the subject of many books etc. over the future years.

“War and Peace” continues to be interesting listen, at least for now, assuming I can keep all of the characters and situations etc.  

I don’t know if people ever actually lived like that in reality, but it is rather interesting. Anytime I real a book like that I wonder if it really represents reality at that time

Of course, historians say you should look at documents “at the time” to avoid the influences of “20 20 hindsight”, although I’d have to check on when he book was written to know if it was \contemporary  or   written after the fact.

Of course, as I look at current society, I am amazed at how similar society is and much of the behavior of the individuals are to the the society and characters in War and Peace so it seems to indicate some things will never change!        

That’s it for now, Friday, April 15, 2016.              

No comments: