Saturday, March 07, 2015

Winter 2015 March 7 Saturday



40 Degrees this morning.  46:04 minutes walking.

Yesterday was beautiful weather and hopefully a beautiful weekend.

One of those “little” things that can change your life, somehow the other day I dropped one of those carving knives.

In this case, it was at least 30 years old and a very expensive knife, or at leasts a nice knife.

The knife apparently hit the tile and the blade just snapped, like it had been cut.  I felt bad that I dropped (and somehow broke) one of Aliene’s good knives, but I was very relieved the blade hadn’t hit my (bare) foot!

As I mentioned, if my foot had been one way 6” or another my day would have definitely gotten worse fast!  As it was, it was just a loss, but not an injury.

I have always wondered about the “small things” that can change your life.  Many times, the “small” things can have a bigger effect than major actions.  

I remember once hearing a story about a person who walked across the country and was asked what his major problem was.  The “grains of sand in my shoe” was the answer.  (I’m sure there are numerous examples of this, but it still makes the point, the smallest thing can be your biggest headache.)

Anyway, last year, oddly enough, while trying to take a safety cover! off of a pair of shears, the shears suddenly popped out and I slammed the point into my hand.  I almost fainted from the pain (and my pain threshold is normally pretty high) and the blood just keep on coming.  We finally went to a Doctor who got it fixed up and some stitches.

I am very aware of knives and scissors now, and am surprised that I actually dropped a big knife (carving knife size) near my bare feet!  I doubt that it would have cut off my toe or something, but it would have done some major damage.  

I believe it makes the “point” (so to speak) that I need to be aware of small hazards or changes since it may jump up and bite me.  Of course you still have to “live” and you can’t live in terror or small things, but being aware helps. 

Busy day yesterday “in the field”.  I hadn’t been “in the field” like that for awhile and I had missed it.  The balance is  good, between being “in the field” and having an “office day”. 

An office day is basically research and phone calls, while a field day is action. An office day is an exercise in solitude (with some phone calls) while a field day is the ultimate in interaction.  

Somehow it gets in my blood and I really enjoy the process, both the office days and the field days.  You can’t have an effective field day without an office day and you  can’t have an effective office day without a field day.

It’s kind of like children, you like each one for what it is and don’t even try to decide which is best!  

We saw a huge “harvest moon” tonight, right as it was coming up.  I really enjoyed seeing it.  Looked like the moon was almost full tonight.  

Aliene is feeling better, but still coughing.  She is ready for it to be over!  

I’m going to try to remember to “fast forward” the clocks and watches tonight, although most of them do it by themselves anymore.

That’s it for now, Saturday, March 7, 2015.


No comments: