Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Winter 2015 March 3 Tuesday (Movies, Books and Music)


39 Degrees this morning, very windy, 45:08 minutes walk

Election Day today for the City.  Last month was election day for the School District.  Nuff saiid about that!  To say the least, turnout was and will be low.

I was just thinking tonight how some songs and movies become classics.  I heard a news squibb that “The Sound of Music” actually wasn’t that well received when it first came out and now it is considered a classic.

I saw it while I was in Air Force Basic Training.  It was over 100 degrees every day in San Antonio Texas in July and August.  Lets just say I loved it, the color the music and everything about it.  I don’t know if I would liked it as well at other times or not (I never watched it again, but I’m not a big movie person anyway).  

I also saw “The Graduate” during basic training and it became a classic in it’s own way.

I remember seeing “Carnal Knowledge” (Jack Nicholson) in graduate school.  For some reason it had a big impact on me, perhaps my frame of mind at the time.  Also  “Easy Rider” when I was in the Air Force.  

 One of the more strange memories is watching “Soylent Green” and “WestWorld” that was a double feature right as I was finishing up graduate school  and was one of the highlights as I transitioned to the working world. A rather strange double feature (I think, maybe not).  I still  remember the part in Soylent Green on how beautiful the meadow was in the overall sameness of their world.

I saw one movie that I never have been able to get the name to (it was forgettable I’m sure to anyone but in my frame of mine).  Two guys take off and one “memorable" line is “We’ll have this meal on American Express” as he runs up a credit bard bill he knows he will never pay.    The one guy goes straight, the film flam man continues on his merry way at the end of the movie.  I think I liked the idea of the individual.

I also remember seeing “West Side Story” (in college) and hearing people crying at the end. Don’t like to sound hard, but I was surprised. 

I stayed up all night and read “Gone with the Wind” (in college) in one sitting and “Bright Lights Big City” in one sitting about 25 years ago.  Of course, a lot of books have had an impact on me since I have read a lot more books than I have seen movies.  

I also remember reading Stephen King’s “It” and about 2:00 a.m. in the morning, I got up to check the drains.  (If you haven’t read it, you won’t know what I mean).  I also became a little paranoid about clowns after that.

Actually, this entire soliloquy started when I heard my granddaughter say (with an  apologetic  look at me) that she didn’t like County Music, but she did like Lady Antebellum’s song “Need You Now” and I thought how that song seems to be liked by a wide variety of people.  

I remember when it first came out, the DJ who played music at a place we danced played it with almost reverence several times, and a lot of people mentioned it and now my granddaughter voluntarily mentioned that she liked it. Probably five generations of ages have said they loved the song, so it must meet some basic human emotion. 

I told her I really like the song and I also didn’t like County Music until I was about 42 years old, when it suddenly all made sense.  Or maybe I just decided nothing made sense.  

Actually, I can remember when the group “Lady Antebellum” was referred to as “she” when the group first came out, to my delight.  It was actually written by a music critic for  major newspaper.   The ordinary fan (or non-fan) could be excused for the mistake.

Anyway enough of that.  I’m done for now.  Strange how one comment can remain in your mind and have such an impact.

Dream yesterday morning, I was in a hotel and I got in the elevator with (I believe a hotel employee).  He said “this is a fast elevator” and it zipped up to my floor, the 11th floor.  Don’t remember anything else.


That’s it for now, Tuesday, March 3, 2015.

No comments: