Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Spring 2015 March 24 Tuesday (Happy Birthday Barbara)



63 degrees this morning, wind 23 mph, Walk 45:50 minutes

Almost didn’t walk this morning when I heard the howling of the wind, but I decided if I let a measly 23 mph wind stop me I would miss a lot of walks!

Wishing a Happy Birthday to my youngest sister, Barbara!  Hope you are having a wonderful birthday.  No matter how old you are, you are always much younger than the rest of us!  

March 24 also marks the date I officially entered the Air Force.  (I didn’t go on active duty until July 15).

Every once in a while, I have to bring up the quote from “And the Mountains Echoed” again:

“Now I was free to do as I wished, but I found the freedom illusory, for what I wished for had been taken from me. They say, Find a purpose in life and live it.  But, sometimes, it is only after you have lived that you recognize your life had a purpose, and likely one you never had in mind”.

I don’t know why, but that has been on my mind all day.  No special reason, I think it just is one of those things.  That was a wonderful book.  I had forgotten I had almost stopped reading it but then I got into it.  

I like to bring that quote up occasionally and examine it.  

I think I always feel a little melancholy this time of year.  I think I feel like I should be enjoying the wonderful weather, but I feel like either I don’t really have the time to enjoy it, or it just is my expectations are too high.  

I looked up the definition of melancholy, but it doesn’t really describe my feelings.  I don’t feel sad or depressed, actually I feel pretty cheerful, I think it is just I  feel I should be doing so much more that I feel this way.

The word “melancholy” doesn’t really described it, but it is good enough for me.  Perhaps the “feeling of lost opportunities” describes it.  

It was kind of like when I was working all the time, I looked forward to a holiday etc. and then I has so many expectations of what I should or could be doing, I was never satisfied with what I was doing!  Or something like that.

I actually really enjoy my job and life now, I have a job that is both satisfying and challenging , my major concern is just becoming informed on all of the procedures involved, but even if you did , there would always be one more situation come up that didn’t quite fit.

Of course that is what is so wonderful about the job, it is a new challenge every day, or even ten times a day.  There is no such thing as routine.  

In a lot of ways it is like my main career, except it is more narrow and is from an entirely different perspective.  

Years ago, before I became City Manager, one of my projects for awhile was similar to my current job, and I always remembered it as something I enjoyed.  

The main difference in my current job and City Manager is that in my present job, the overall goal is always agreed up on.  The discussion is on how to reach the goal or if a person is going to participate in that goal!

I understand “Spring weather” (read high winds, cold, hail and rain and maybe tornados ) is coming in.  One good thing about renting (especially when you rent from an excellent property management firm like we do), while we worry about storms and house damage like anyone, we know it will be taken care of quickly if there is any damage and we don’t have to worry about dealing with contractors etc. 


That’s it for now, Tuesday, March 24, 2015

No comments: