Monday, March 30, 2015

Spring 2015 March 30 Monday


48  degrees this morning  45:31 minutes walking

In spite of how much I read when I was young, i am surprised at what I haven’t read sometimes.  

I have a bunch of “Cliff Notes” (or similar) booklets that I picked up at the Library Book Sale over the years. and I figure if I can’t read the book, I can at least read the Cliff Notes on it and get some idea of what the book is about.

In some cases, it has caused me to read the book after I finish the Cliff Notes on it.

I just started on the Cliff Notes for John Knowles, “A Separate Peace”.  I am surprised I didn’t read it or even hear of it since it was published in 1959 and I read most of the similar books (coming of age etc.) in that era. 

It actually is fairly common that an author’s first book is the most successful book.  That was the case here.  His first book was his most successful and allowed him the financial  ability to write full-time, but none of his other books were all that successful.  

A large number of authors first book was their only real success or their only book.  Off the top of my head I can think of a bunch of them.  

It may be that expectations change also.  I just finished a book “The Attackers Advantage” where the author points out that expectations change, roles change, the environment changes etc.  and some people don’e adapt.  

Not that that is the reason for author’s first book being their most successful or their only book, I’m sure it is so difficult to write a good fiction book, that maybe some authors only have one book in them, and that is fine, it is one more successful book that most people write!

Many of the “first” books are frequently almost autobiographical and certainly writing about what you know is frequently much better.

Another dream from Sunday morning:

Dream 3 29 15

Dreamed I was in Harrah city Hall by myself.  It almost seemed like a mobile home. (this would be the “old” City Hall now.)

One of he workers who was there had to go  on an errand.  I as there by myself.

A lady came in to ask about ode enforcement.  She had a letter showing what they had to do.  She was complaining that no matter what they did it wasn’t right.

I used someone else’s  desk.  (It was a lady who worked with me at Harrah).  

The Letter was written by someone who had worked at Lakeland, and while looking for a desk to sit down at with a phone, I  saw a desk with no phone and a bunch of wires where everything had been unplugged.

I looked at another desk and thought it was the one the Lakeland Emergency Mgr. Director had set at..

I set at a desk with an old antique radio, an old plastic, white  radio in poor repair.  It kept playing classical music and I couldn’t get it to shut off, even after I unplugged it.   

The letter the lady gave me was soaking wet.  I read something about weeds around stop signs etc., blocking traffic view.

I tried to find a phone, but couldn’t find a phone.  

For some reason there away a quote on the back of the envelope fro stop signs etc even though it was only for mowing and grass.

The music kept getting louder and louder until I couldn’t understand or hear the lady with the complaint.

I woke up.


That’s it for now, Monday,  March 30, 2015.

No comments: