Friday, March 27, 2015

Spring 2015 March 27 Friday

Spring 2015 March 27 Friday

44 degrees this morning 45:11 minutes walking

Friday!  Another week gone by and almost another month!  

Warmer weather is forecast for next week.  I am looking forward to the warm weather!

Our Neighborhood now has “nextdoor.com” (if we get enough members).  

I was thinking of the way people communicate and the changes are amazing it you think about it.

All ages and cultures communicate extensively by “texting”.  (It was big in China also, although through “WeChat”.)  I was a little amused the other day I read about how someone was talking about how texting was a young thing.  It may be, but persons of all ages are texting.  

Facebook is a national Town Hall as well as providing a means of communication.  

Search engines allow us to look up anything, anytime and find it within seconds vs. a trip to the library, finding the right books etc. in past years.  

Twitter has become a new source of news (although the ads have gotten so irritating and intrusive  I am rethinking how and if  I use i.)

It will be interesting to see what happens with Virtual Reality.  It seems it could be used in a lot of ways, including as a simulation for learning.  

As someone who really doesn’t care for videos (other than music videos) or computer games, I hope something more comes out of it than just that.

Several years ago, I read an article in the WSJ that an “invisible cloak” (as in Harry Potter) was technically possible (something to do with “curving light waves” or something like that.  Of course, maybe it has been perfected and I just don’t see it!

I had really thought when I was a kid we would be able to “transport” ourselves by now, and not even have to worry about roads etc, just step in a box and transport yourself to where you want to go, at least in some manner.

Also, as I’ve mentioned before, I never though we would basically be driving the same type of cars as we did than.  A LOT of improvements, but the same basic concept.

I had even thought cars might travel on a cushion of air, and certainly be driverless.

Over 15 years ago, I attended a conference where they said it was technically possible now to walk to a plane, get in, and fly to your destination  without  any action on your part.  I wonder why we haven’t done it?

One of the things I really admire about President Lincoln (even before he became President) was he was a big supporter of what we call “infrastructure” now.  Instead of “crony capitalism” , providing excellent and advanced infrastructure (educational and otherwise) is the best way of creating business opportunities  (i.e. Silicon Valley)  More about that in the future.

I guess, on the other side, I never imagined terrorism  as it is now, that somehow a bunch of sub life things (they aren’t human, and to compare them to sub-animals is an insult to the animals) would actually take delight in destroying things and killing for the sake of  destroying things.   And in the name of religion to top it off.

I do remember reading “The Thousand and One Nights/Arabian Nights” when I was a kid and some of the talk sounds vaguely like some of the stories I read.  

It has been literally decades since I have read it, so I may be remembering incorrectly.  I do remember the “Open Sesame” sometimes when I open garage door or walk into a store with an “automatic door”.  

Minor dream last night (very little lI can remember) I was driving a car somewhat like my current car and the car in front of merit another car.  I almost stopped in time, but  barely nicked the car.  It had several dents already and I couldn’t tell if I had nicked it or not.

While the other two drivers were arguing, I changed clothes (for some reason) and quietly drove off.  The location was that long sweeping curve eastbound into Harrah, the actual accident was right past the turn off to the bridge over the river.


That’s it for now, Friday, March 27, 2015.

No comments: