Sunday, December 29, 2013

Winter 2013 December 29 Sunday

43 degrees this morning, misty and foggy.
Recovering from Christmas trip.  Overall a really nice trip, hard to believe it is over and Christmas 2013 is now just a memory.
One thing we noticed is how it stays dark in the morning in OKC so long (dawn is about an hour earlier here, and of course sunset is also an hour earlier.)  Not sure which I prefer.
One thing I really miss when traveling is my exercise routine.  I really enjoy it and it seems to start the day well.  I usually walk several miles, cycle to the ATC Fitness Center, ride the stationary bike (and read the morning newspapers) for 37 minutes, than shower etc., come home and take a nap before I eat breakfast.
We keep our Christmas decorations up until early January.  (Most of our decorations are inside).  Aliene does a lot of work on marking each season, especially Christmas.  She also has a variety of plants that live on the window sills during the day and on the table at night.
Read a story on "time" this morning in the NYT, he used a prisoner to illustrate how time starts to narrow your options, probably the worst thing about time passing.  The Prisoner (and I believe the writer) concluded you couldn't do anything about time passing, but you could be the best possible prisoner or other) that you could.
Starting to read "Catcher in the Rye" for my "book discussion" group.  I'm really not sure if I have ever actually read it before, although I"m sure I did when I was a kid.  I read almost all American writers and many international writers (who wrote in English or translated), i read everything I could get my hands on.  
Strangely enough, I don't read that much fiction anymore.  In the early to mid 90's, I even quit reading fiction completely, since I decided it was a waste of time.  I obviously seen changed my opinions and read fiction, but still not like I used to, and I probably quit reading about 50% of what fiction I start by the first chapter, usually because it is just a canned plot the author keeps just chaining the characters in, or it is just plan boring.
I will be glad to get back on my diet and exercise.  I'm not even going to weigh myself for a week, I would probably get discouraged! I have decided my fist step is to make sure i update "My Fitness Pal" when I eat anything.  I think the first step is to be aware of what you are doing.
Reading about advancements in technology in "Wired" Magazine and the possible new technology.  It is amazing.  Several articles in particular hit a chord, the importance of "design" in everything, but especially technology.  I was thinking that could apply to government programs, how residents perceive and interact with the programs. 

No comments: