Sunday, December 15, 2013

Fall 2013 December 15, 2013 Sunday

34 degrees.  Caught me by surprise, I thought it was going to be warmer.  
Now that "every day is a Saturday except for Sunday", I continually have this nagging feeling I used to get on three day weekends or vacations, the feeling like I need to be working on something for work.  There actually was always a project I could be working on and there actually is now, but it is different.  Perhaps the difference is that the projects are now somewhat internal to my life whereas previously a majority of the projects were external.  I have been blessed that I have kept busy the past two weeks.  I still haven't had time to catch up on my reading or weeding out stuff and organizing items (and projects), but maybe that time is coming. 
Actually, I hope the time never comes when I feel I have time to fill.  
i am puzzled by all of the "apps" and e-mails offering to "help me decide which organization to donate money too" ?  The same with all the stores that ask you to "give a dollar"  (or whatever) for some cause they want to donate to?  They used to ask and get huffy when I told them no, I made my own decisions on giving to charity or whatever.  Apparently they got feedback on that because now it is more diplomatic in most cases now.    We just decided, no matter what, we were going to "just say no" regardless of the charity or event (with a possible except for a local situation or project).  If people want to donate, fine, but we were going to make our own donations directly to the organization or person.  
Actually, we give few donations.  Some years ago, I got a call from a group that I won't name.  I found out the "fundraisers" got 80% of the donations!   While most charitable organizations do a lot better than that, a high percentage of donations frequently goes to donations or to pay for getting more donations, which again is ok if that is what someone wants to donate too.   We decided, with some exceptions,  we are going to "tip" extra to the lower paid people who are working and may need the extra help.  We have and we feel good about it.  We don't give a lot extra, just an extra dollar or two (more when it is a continuous relationship and someone we deal with all the timeI), but we hope it helps.  Just a personal decision everyone has to make.
One good thing about the time off the past several weeks, I do keep up with my newspapers and my magazines (well, I kind of keep up with the magazines, but I usually read it before I get the next one.  I have a hard and fast rule I throw away the current magazine when I get the new one regardless of whether I have read it or not.
If I can ever get Evernote to work right, it will also make my "story clipping' much easier.  Currently, I either tear it out of the paper or, mor likely, go to the on-line version of the newspaper and save it.  Right now I save it either on the site or as a pdf, but it would be so nice to just save it to Evernote and then be able to access it at any time.  Evernote says you can, but....
I'm supposed to get some news from several places next week.  We'll see.

No comments: