Sunday, December 08, 2013

Fall 2013 12-8-13 Sunday

30 degrees.  Light drizzle, but doesn't seem to be affecting the roads etc.  (It is gathering on the trees etc.)  Walked my usual walk this morning and drove to ATC without any problems.  Papers came right as I was leaving, which is  relief, although I always have plenty of reading material.  
Listening to music this morning, the "Orange Blossom Special" reminded me of my experience with the fiddle/violin.  
In OKC, I went to see Jana Jay perform at the National Cowboy Hall of Fame.  I can still feel the shiver that went down my back as she played the Orange Blossom Special" and other fiddle works.  Another time I was at an event in Kansas (can't remember what city, but one of the border cities near Tulsa).  The fiddle player broke into the Orange Blossom Special and I really got into it.  He noticed and we connected (via the music) as he seemed to be playing directly to me.  Not sure how long this went on, but I literally felt like I was part of the music.  I go to fiddle/violin events when possible and have assembled quite a collection of "Orange Blossom Special", "Faded Love" and "Ashokan Farewell" versions.  I also have a collection of "Amazing Grace".  
I tried to play the fiddle/violin for 10 years, but finally gave up when I moved to Lakeland.  A matter of time, hand problems and not having a teacher..  I never was that good but I enjoyed it.  I kept a fiddle I bought and also a Viola I bought thinking ti was a fiddle!
The Sunday papers were HUGE this morning, I guess with advertising.  They came right as I was backing out to go to ATC, so it was very welcome.
I have the best newspaper deliverer I have ever had (yes, I will remember his well at Christmas) and I dread the day he leaves or I move and no longer can get it delivered doe early.  I am always surprised at how important small delights are in life.  
On the other hand, maybe it isn't since a small delight.  I spend at least 36 minutes a day with my newspapers (Wall Street journal, New York Times and Commercial Appeal) and another 10 or 15 minutes with the electronic edition of the USA Today.  I get the electronic version of the other papers also, but enjoy reading the actual paper. 
Indulging in my secret vice, watching Country Music videos (at least they are on while I read or work on my computer), watching the video (Mumford and Sons,  "I will Wait") which I love to hear and plan on purchasing.  (no fiddles in the band though).  I don't know what attracts me to the song, but I loved it the first time I heard it. 
I like "CMT Pure" because they don't have  talkative "video jockey" (or any type of announcer) and I tape them so I can fast forward through most of the commercials and announcements.  
We'll see what Sunday brings.  Hopefully the freezing drizzle has stopped.

No comments: