Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Fall 2013 November 13 Wednesday

28 degrees this morning, and it felt it!  No wind, so it really wasn't that bad.
Listening to Stephen Hawkings "A Brief History of Time".  I didn't understand it when I tried to read it years ago, I didn't get physics in college and I don't get it now when I listen to it!  I realize I am just not oriented that way, so I'm glad there are people who understand it!  Not that I don't feel it is interesting, it is just  I really don't understand the concepts and probably don't have the framework to understand them.
First freeze of the year here, maybe a little earlier than normal. I went ahead and cycled outside and it went fine.  As usual, my only weak spot is my hands, I still haven't figured out how to keep my hands warm, yet flexible enough to shift and control the bicycle.  
Recently I have been spending some time reading John Grisham, "Sycamore Row".  While I overall enjoy his books, many of them seem contrived and artificial (especially the "Runaway Jury") and I get a bad taste in my mouth (figuratively speaking) after I finish as some of his endings, such as the one where the innocent man dies.  I absolutely really enjoyed his non-fiction story about the abuse of justice in Ada, Oklahoma and admire him for writing it.  I don't read a lot of fiction right now, due to time constraints.  I usually start one and if it doesn't grab my attention or is just basically the same book by the author with different characters, I quit reading it, figuring "Life is too short" and "So Many Books, so Little Time" to use several cliches.  
That brings up another pet peeve, the attempt to discredit cliches.  What is wrong with a cliche?  If it gets the message across with a minimum of words, use it!  
I used to belong to Toastmasters (I kept my membership, but I think I forgot to pay the dues last time) and enjoyed it, but haven't been able to find a club with a suitable schedule and I don't want to take the time to start one.  It is a great organization.   

No comments: