Thursday, November 28, 2013

Fall 2013 November 28 Thursday

34 degrees (22 in Memphis)
Thanksgiving Day, 2013.  I accidentally wrote down 2017 for yesterday in my "calendar notes" that I have kept since about 1988, with a few omissions.  It made me wonder that my life will be like on November 27 (or Thanksgiving) on November 27, 2017.  Hopefully, I'll still be here in good health!  If not, I guess I'll be someplace better.
I can't imagine what it will be like in Lakeland if the current situation continues to prevail.  
Thanksgiving is always a  time to reflect for me.  I have a lot of memories of Thanksgiving, including kicking a tire tube with my cousin Charles as snowflakes started to fall (I don't know what I remember that oneI), heavy snows that made relatives get a hotel room since they couldn't  drive home, and years later, Thanksgiving with my daughter where we ate on Wednesday night and I spent Thanksgiving by myself, one time someone laughing about seeing me at the laundry mat on Thanksgiving.  
My world is in a world of change.  I really haven't felt it yet and wont until next week, probably Wednesday or Thursday when I start to realize that I am no longer Lakeland City Manager as I ignore things I normally would have taken notes on or called to correct.  There will certainly be a lot of things I won't miss about it also.
I am geting sick of people saying "nothing personal". Kind of reminds me of "The Godfather' when they would say "just business, nothing personal" as they killed each other.  I think the "nothing personal" comments are sickening and an ethical and moral failure of the person saying such crap.  

No comments: