Monday, November 11, 2013

Fall 2013 November 11 Monday

45 degrees, supposed to get much colder.  Wore may "32 degree" brand shirt this morning, which I really like.  (It is real light and stays dry and is only $9 at Costco).
I will always remember Veterans Day for the obvious reasons, but also because it was on Veterans Day I got my first PC Compatible (probably in 1986) and was advised "it would be awhile before I needed a hard drive!" .   When I did get a hard drive I got a 10 meg hard drive!  Still a major step up from the Vic 20 and Commodore 64.  I got my first laptop on Christmas Eve, 1988 (and I still have it!).  I got my first Apple Computer on or about November 11 in 2005, the first of many Apple Computers.
Today they "winterize" the irrigation system, which I assume means Winter has truly started.  
The "holiday" is truly here and I will enjoy the day off, even is I "work"!   I have really enjoyed this e-day holiday, as I do most of them.  I like to spend 3-day holidays at home, so I can just relax and enjoy them.  
I worked for a bit yesterday on tossing items.  It is tough deciding what to throw/give away.  As I mentioned yesterday, it is much easier to give away times to a charity, with at least the thought that someone else will be able to use it.  
Thinking of Veterans Day, I am always amazed at how soldiers actually fight in wars, especially such as the Civil War, with WWI and WWII certainly coming in close, or any war for that matter.  I guess it has to do with they fought in the environment they knew and with what they had.  Or something like that. Whatever, it just took a lot of courage.  At the book club the other day we were talking about how wartime service affects veterans differently (started from a character in a book).  One lady said it hadn't affected her father and than, as we discussed it, she started remembering how it HAD really affected her father in a number of ways.  

No comments: