Sunday, November 10, 2013

Fall 2013 November 10 Friday

48 degrees.  
Middle of a 3 day weekend, which is always nice.  For some reason, I overslept a bit this morning.  I normally wake up without any kind of alarm clock.  Today was one of those weird days when I looked at the clock and thought it said "2:56 a.m.".  I got dressed to walk, looked at the living room clock and it said "1:00 a.m."!  (I hadn't seen the  12, but had seen the 2).  Of course, I went back to bed, but overslept about 20 minutes, which sets my whole schedule back, although on Sunday I can adjust for it.
I haven't used Google+ that much and will need to look at it some more.  I have avoided using it a lot, because (like for having this post automatically posted to Google+ like I do to Tumblr, I would have to to through all kinds of gyrations.  Kind of like Amazon, they seem to want to control your entire life. I am always surprised when Amazon "recommends" items they seem to think I would be interested in.  They are almost never right, they are assuming too much.  
I think one reason I like walking and bicycle riding it is time when I can think (even while listening to a book or music, I still can think without interruption etc.) I can frequently "write a memo" or decide on an action while walking or riding a bike because it seems the lack of intrusions and interruptions provide me a chance to consider all the alternatives and possible consequences etc.
I've been thinking about the persons who live a 'minimalist" life style and don't let "things" control them.  (I am listening to a book that says the urge to own and attachment to things you own is a basic instinct in humans)  I am also reading (slowly but surely), the book "The Laws of Subtraction" and also listen to the Steve Jobs biography who lived somewhat of a minimalist life style and whose Apple products reflect that (sometimes a little too much!).
I have been trying to "unpile" my life, but even books I haven't thought about reading/rereading for years and never well are almost impossible to get rid of.  Of course information I "may" use is even more difficult to get rid of.  Sometimes I wonder if it would be easier to select the "best" of what I want and make the selection that way.  Somewhere I read about someone who puts everything he owns into two suitcases and throws everything else.  I don't know about just two suitcases, but I could, for example, have seveal large boxes and put all the books I want in the boxes and give away everything else.
I also have noted, it is much easier to get rid of stuff if you think it is going to a "good home" and is for someone who actually wants/needs it and will read it or take care of it.  To a small degree, it is easier to recycle something than simply trash it.
I get rid of newspapers and magazines by simply throwing out the old one when the new one comes (actually, I recyle newspapers and give the magazines to the library, as I do the books.  We try to give all clothes etc. that have some life left to the Disable Veterans who come around once a month or so.

No comments: