Sunday, October 27, 2013

Fall 2013 October 27


54 degrees, very pleasant outside.
The World Series this year has special interest and emotional impact for us this year because of the tie of so many of the St. Louis Cardinals as former Memphis Redbirds, many whom we watched as late as last Summer, some (such as Wong and Chambers) who were called up in the last part of the Redbirds season.  I have never had more of an interest in the World Series as I have had before.
Speaking of sports, I was surprised (and pleased) to read the New York Times article saying the Memphis Grizzles had the talent etc. to go all the way to the NBA finals and even win this year.  While I don't watch pro basketball much, I think Memphis deserves it and I do like the Grizzle players and respect them for their community service and ties to the Memphis community and the enjoyment they give many people.  While in general I think sports are overemphasized, I recognize the psyche connection and uplift from the "Memphis Grizzles" basketball team doing well.  
Volunteered (a litte bit, at the first and last, Aliene worked the entire time) at the Lakeland Halloween Fest last night.  It was fun to watch the children enjoy the occasion.  
It seems like Daylight Saving Time should be starting (or maybe ending is the right word) this weekend, but it must be next weekend.  After I learned "Spring Forward, Fall Back" I finally got it straight on how to adjust the time!  I really enjoy the "extra" hour I get each Fall, kind of like flying to the west time zones when you "gain" an hour or two hours. Of course, it really hurts when I have to "give" the time back and "lose" on hour or two!
I like the idea of having a day (today, Sunday) with nothing to do, other than the Sunday morning routine.  Although I have plenty to do, at least I can arrange how and when I do it.
Leaves are really turning, Fall is here.   

No comments: