Thursday, December 31, 2015

Winter 2015 December 31 Thursday



33 degrees this morning, no walk icy plus still coughing

I was actually somewhat surprised to see that the last day of 2015 was actually here.  I write “2015” so much (in my job etc.), it is somewhat of a shock to realize I won’t write it again, at least except in the historical sense.  

Still have cough, this is one of the longest lingering coughs I have had. I did have something similar (except it was actual whooping cough) about 10 years ago and then I had a coughing spell last Summer.  I always worry that “this time” I will never fully recover, but hopefully that won’t be the case.  I feel a lot better than I did a week ago.  

Got a different oxygen machine for Sleep Apnea.  It  actually has a cell phone apparatus that calls in the  results each night and I can also review them on the internet.  That will be interesting.  

I think it is similar to what I wrote about the other day, that the advancements in technology and “robot” devices that assist and perform functions that will expand human efforts.  This will actually provide a daily reading of how much I sleep (maybe except for my naps), sleep patterns, any sleep disturbances (or I believe they call them “incidents” when your breathing slows etc.) , pulse etc. and who knows what else.  

I am supposed to use it on my naps, and I probably well on most of my naps, except that I don’t really plan on moving it around, so I normally won’t use it on some naps.  

Probably one of the biggest problems with this is privacy.  You can about figure that anything that goes out on the internet is fair game and eventually will become public. Not that I care in this case, but there are a lot of medical items someone wouldn’t want publicized.

Also, who knows, I probably signed away the rights to the data for research etc. Again, not that it really matters, but….  It is kind of disturbing to know that someone has access to my data.  

Of course, I think the big thing will be medical records.  While I don’t really care, if someone can access medical records and just spread them on the internet like they have other information, who can really stop it?

Then, you have the question, is stolen information that is posted on the internet, then public information that can be used by the press, civiil courts, employers etc?  A lot of questions!

The transition to a New Year is always (or at least usually) a time of thought for me as I plan for the year ahead.  

This year seemed to creep up on me.  I think not being able to exercise (walk, swim, bike etc.) has eliminated a lot of my “thought time” when I just have the time to randomly think about anything and everything.  

It seems I would have an equal amount of time to just randomly think, it’s just I wouldn’t be while I was exercising  However, it really doesn’t work that way.  Somehow the “new” time I have from missing my exercise just kind of vaporizes. 

Part of the “new time” is taken up just from being sick.  It is time-consuming to be sick! Of course, I sleep more, but also it just takes more effort to do things.  Also, I think I tend to “piddle” since my morning especially is so structured.  

One of my first actions in the New Year will be getting over this cold and getting back into exercising!  

I wish everything a rewarding 2016.  The year is a blank slate I will fill in each day.


That’s it for now, Thursday, December 31, 2015.  

No comments: