Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Fall 2015 December 1 Tueday


28 degrees this morning (21 degrees wc) Walk 39:15 minutes.

Good to get back to my morning routine again this morning.  Doesn’t feel all that cold, in fact I dressed a little too warm for the walk.

Also glad to get back to listening to the book on Woodrow Wilson.  He is still early in his career and it has been interesting to observe how he developed some of his ideas.  I am curious as to how he developed into a President, based on some of his early life.  I expect you could say that about any potential President.

Listening to holiday music, I have to wonder about some of the lyrics sometimes.  For example, “Rudolph the Red Nosed Raindeer” appears to indicate the Rudolph was basically not liked and was bullied until Santa chose him to lead.  Suddenly, he was “cheered” by the other reindeer etc.  

Kind of makes you wonder about the other reindeer, why they suddenly “cheered” when before they considered him unworthy to “play in reindeer games”  (or something like that) and bullied and jeered him until Santa chose him to lead.

I guess maybe the lack of character of the other reindeer is the reason they weren’t chosen to lead and suddenly changed.  I have a feeling that they were actually just playing up to Santa, a bunch of “yes” reindeer!  

Of course, if I was a reindeer behind another reindeer, I’d probably be careful also and only sing praises for fear of what might happen!  

Probably one of my favorite songs to sing along with is “O Holy Night”.  Only Aliene, Angela, Kali and Katherine have heard that and they groan every time I attempt to “sing” with it!  However, I enjoy it (I even do it when I hear it in the car by myself), so that is what really counts!  At least to me.

December, another month.  Means I soon will get some new accounts (either today or tomorrow), which is always stimulating. 

I recently read about a writing teacher who banned certain words and told students they had to use another word instead of some commonly used words.  I think the instructor was trying to get the students to be more precise in their use of language, especially such words as “said” etc.

Anyway, I think that is a good idea and I am going to use the power of technology to search for new words for some of my “tired words”.

I plan on scanning some of my past writing for overused words and try to use alternative words, unless that word describes my meaning exactly.  At least will be a good exercise to recognize some of the words I use too much.

Aliene has decorated the house for the holiday season.  While it is somewhat subdued since the house is being shown, it really looks nice and seasonal.  
Exercise machines are doing fine.  I am still in the “preliminary” mode.  I’m not even writing down which machine I am using yet.  I try to use three machines per day, as I try to work at determining which machines I will use on a permanent basis.  I may have to  up it a little, I am reviewing the two books recommended to me and will hopefully develop a good approach.

I am just amazed at the muscles I don’t use (at least based on the machines!).  I thought with walking, swimming, and weightlifting/situps etc., I was giving my body a reasonably good workout, not so.


That’s it for now, Tuesday, December 1, 2015.

No comments: