Sunday, December 13, 2015

Fall 2015 December 13 Sunday



63 degrees this morning, heavy rain, no walk

Apparently one heck of  storm last night.  As usual I slept right through it.  Mainly lightning and heavy rain.

More fudge last night as Aliene’s daughter made fudge.  It is nice to think of the tradition and recipe being passed down through the generations.  The fudge is too good for the recipe to disappear!  

Took my Mac Air in, lets just say I decided it cost too much to repair.  However, after checking e-bay, I found that used Mac Air’s still keep a relatively good value, so I may rethink my decision and keep it and have i repaired, since it would basically be brand new.  

When I upgrade I could sell it and basically should make out ok, or I could just not upgrade since I really don’t need to upgrade except for the warranty if I have what is essentially a brand new computer. 

I didn’t realize “old” my “new” iPad was until I tried to use it as a substitute for a computer!  I wasn’t really that bad, but I really noticed it. 

I have found that with the larger screen it is just as easy to keep “notes” on my iPhone as it was on the laptop.  

Yesterday, I suddenly realized Christmas is less than two weeks away (just one more weekend!) and 2016 is almost here.  Only one more full week of work in December!  

Of course that set off our annual attempt to find our Christmas lists.  I don’t know why some things hide on the computer, but they do.  Much as I try to organize them so I can find them “no matter what” they somehow remain hidden until I find them by accident.

Actually, the most effective system I have found it to e-mail items to a certain e-mail address and then just search for them.  

The Mall yesterday was busy, but nothing like it has been in past years.  For better or worse, internet shopping has drastically changed the retail situation. 

Of course, internet shopping has been changing retail for years, but I think this is the first year it really suddenly will have a systematic impact on retail.  (Not he right word, but the word I want I can never think of.  For some reason it is a word I have always had a hard time remember since I first started using it about 25 years ago!  Strange how we develop a blind spot like that for a word or a spelling of a word.)

I decided to keep the Keurig coffee maker.  Frankly, I think it is great overrated, except for the convenience.  The water doesn’t get hot enough to make really good coffee.  It is acceptable coffee, but not really good coffee.  I am going to start microwaving each cup before I drink it to get it hotter, but that lessens the convenience.  

Apparently there is  Keurig where the temperature can be adjusted, but I don’t know if you can actually adjust the temperature for a really decent cup of coffee or not.  Supposedly there are ways you can “hack” a regular Keurig to get a better cup of coffee.  I’ll read up some more on it!
Probably is easier just to microwave it.  

I like hot coffee enough that I grade restaurants on Yelp on  how hot and fresh the coffee is on Yelp.  Of course, one reason I keep the cup of coffee that I ruined my computer is it came from a restaurant where the coffee is really great so i got a cup of coffee “to go”.  Of course by the time I spilled it it had cooled down and I was getting ready to toss it.

Such is life.


That’s it for now, Sunday, December 13, 2015.

No comments: