Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Fall 205 December 16 Wednesday



34 degrees this morning (27 degrees WC), Walk 37:48 minutes

Cold weather has returned!  Of course, I dressed to0 heavy this morning and was actually hot during my walk,  although I apparently walked faster because of the cold.

Reading a book on “oxygen” and the book emphasizes the first rule is “breathe through your nose, not your mouth”.  Apparently this is a well known rule, something that somehow escaped me.

So, I have been attempting to breath through my nose, not my mouth.  I didn’t realize I breathed though my mouth so much.  I am consciously trying to breathe through my nose, although I tend to forget when I get lost in thought while walking or biking.  

I especially noticed my breathing through my mouth while bicycling.  

The book even recommends using tape to tape your mouth shut while sleeping etc.  I’m not sure if I’m quite ready for that.  

I remember when I took the sleep test with the oxygen mask, I could’t even open my mouth, apparently because of the pressure of the oxygen mask making me breathe through my nose.  That wasn’t necessarily uncomfortable.  

I’m not sure how that works while swimming.  While I”m not sure, I expect I breathe through my mouth while swimming.  I didn’t notice yesterday morning.  

Monday morning the swimming pool was packed, with many “double lanes” (two people in one lane) and even people waiting to swim.

Yesterday morning at the exact same time, I was the only one in the pool!

Makes me wonder if I didn’t get the memo about the water being bad or something!  

There is a lifeguard at the pool, which makes me feel better about swimming there.  I am not a great swimmer, but I really enjoy it. 

Swimming lessons are still on the horizons, but not right now.  I want to get to where the exercise machines are part of my routine, and I completely get back into bicycle training.  

I can gradually feel myself get more endurance both in swimming and in bicycling.  I still do a relatively short bicycle ride each day, but it fits my schedule.  I hope to ride in at least part of the week long bicycle ride this summer, although it may depend on a hotel being close each night!  (with a hot tub if possible!).  

The traditional way is to camp out each night, but I have not been a “camp out” person for years.  There is one alternative where your tent, bed etc. is set up when you get there and that may be an acceptable alternative.  

I don’t know if I would be so tired I would sleep good or so achy I couldn’t sleep!  

Anyway, it is all hypothetical right now until they announce the route and I decide if I am able to get into shape by late June.  

My bike is approaching ten years old, and they recommend if your bike is over ten years old, you bring along spare parts, or at least check to be sure your bike still uses standard parts.  

It was kind of a shock when I realized my bike will be ten years old next Spring, I am still thinking of it as my “new” bike!  Time passes, and I may want to get a “pedal assist” bike anyway.

This week has been going slow, it seems like it should be Friday instead of only Wednesday.  Scheduling a “field day” today.


That’s it for now, Wednesday, December 16, 2015.

No comments: