Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Winter 2015 December 29 Tuesday



 22 degrees this morning, no walk (ice, but also cold air still makes me coughI)

Thank goodness the weather forecast was wrong and we got very little snow.  It was a little icy, but not that bad (says the person who hardly left the house except for get the mail, and take out the trash and recycling and picking up the bins!)  

I am hoping I will get over the coughing so I can start exercising again.  Along with the general change in eating habits that occur over the holidays, not exercising also is deadly for my weight!

One factor I have noticed is, I cough when I eat to fullness, which is an indication that “GERD” is possibly causing me to cough, similar to the way carbonated beverages cause me to cough.  

However, also whenever I went out, the cold air caused me to cough, so it may be several days before I can exercise again.  

Speaking of the future, I read a short (short so I would take the time to read it and get some basic information) book on robots, drones etc.  It was interesting and provides a good basis for future reading.  

I think it is easy to assume robots will be bad (or good) and I expect it will be a matter of some very positive results with some negative aspects.  Somewhat like all technology, such as smartphones etc.  

In a way it goes back to the concept that robots will help since people work so hard, sometimes they don’t have time to really “think” because there are so many small things interfering.  However, robots (in the very broad sense of smart phones, driverless cars, etc) could take care of many of the small tasks that take up so much time and we would have time to think and discuss the big things.  Or maybe vice versa, with the robots providing the research and “thinking’.  

I was just thinking of how I did “research” in college and graduate school.  Much of my time was spent in non-productive time.  it was anyway, but I mean even when I was trying to be productive much of the mechanism of being productive was meaningless, time consuming tasks not actually thinking of the broad issues I was trying to research.  

The mechanics became the important part, not the result  I think technology/robots could dramatically change that equation.  

Today, I would do in one evening (or less) what it took me a semester to do back then as far as  research  Of course, I didn’t have the “distractions" of smart phone texts, cable tv with hundreds of channels, “on-demand” movies,  tablets with live tv etc.,  Facebook, Youtube Etc. , so maybe it all equals out anyway!  

I read somewhere that there is a good chance in a few years we will be operating without Smartphones etc, but communicating and using the internet through new devices or media, most of which we probably haven’t even been invented yet.  

I was thinking that the rise of physical terrorism somewhat parallels the rise of “cyberterrorism”, where people introduced viruses etc., just for the “fun” of it.  Now they are using “blackmail” viruses etc. to make money, just like ISIS is taking over property and trying to make money for terrorism.  I know, quite a stretch, but something to think about!

I was thinking about that because of some of the more extreme comments, etc. on Facebook etc. the kind that make you wonder what people are really thinking about and if it really is a person or what motive they really have.  I block them, but I still wonder why they spend their time that way.  

All of the good that can be accomplished with technology, especially people who understand how to develop programs etc, it is really such a waste.

Planning on a “Field Day” today, the first since before Christmas, hopefully I will be able to handle the cold air.  If not, fortunately it is the time of month when I still have a lot of office work I can do.  I do plan on automatically using the lotion that kills germs on my hands automatically when I get in the car, just so I get in the habit. 

Three days left in 2015.  


That’s it for now, Tuesday, December 29, 2015.

No comments: