Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Fall 2015 December 8 Tuesday



41 degrees this morning, Walk 38:21 minutes

This is the time of year when postponing a task etc. until “after the holidays” , or after the first of the year is widely accepted.  

Sometimes postponement of a decision is best, although I have always heard that at some point “no decision” is a decision.  

That is probably true after a certain point (and is definitely true if time is a factor and you pass a deadline where “no decision” is indeed a decision.  

Anyway, this is the time of year when much does get postponed until January, where it may well be forgotten by then! 

Yesterday, I discussed purchasing material “things” versus the cost of non-temporary things such as meals, home/car repairs etc.  

I didn’t mention the factor of “experiences” that of experiencing life, which is probably one of the more important aspects of how we spend our money and time. 

Actually, when we prioritize what we “experience” in life (as much as we can), such as eating out, travel, performances, concerts etc. we invest not only our money, but something even more important, our time.  

I feel time is the most valuable “thing” (as a concept) we have, so regardless of the money, maybe enhancing time or saving time is an important aspect of how we set priorities and how we spend our money and time.

I know many things I could probably do myself, but it is a matter of the time, not the money.  In fact I expect one reason we work so hard to get money is so we spend our time as we wish.

I know I have always said if I had the money, the one thing I would do is have a chauffeur, it would save so much time, since I could read etc. instead of drive.  

Perhaps, with the new “driverless cars” coming out, I will have my wish!  I even like the idea of the “driver assists”, where the car will take over on the road or in stop and go traffic.  

However, when I see the limits of technology (i.e. cell phone “dead areas”, a GPS that can’t get a route right etc.) I really doubt that I will see a truly driverless car.  Of course that may be famous last words.

One comment I will always remember is my very intelligent high school English teacher saying that “individuals will no longer invent and become wealthy, it will all be corporations”.  This was right before the advent the boom in technology where fortunes were made by individuals who started their businesses in garages etc!  

On the other hand, she was somewhat right in that businesses now need “angel investors” who invest in the enterprise or otherwise they wouldn’t have the money to market and manufacture it.

I noted that Keurig (the coffee maker) is “going private”.  So much for Keurig’s, prepare for higher prices as the “hedge fund”, rips off the banks, customers and company.  

Actually I like the Keurig, I don’t think it gets the coffee hot enough and the size of the water container is truly ridiculous, a lack of planning and forethought on behalf of the company.  I like it well enough to keep it for the convenience, but it’s not really good coffee.  At least I can always to to Starbucks or McDonalds for a good cup of hot coffee!


That’s it for today, Tuesday, December 8, 2015.   

No comments: