Sunday, December 20, 2015

Fall 2015 December 20 Sunday



51 degrees this morning, no walk (head cold and cough)

Having a head cold is miserable.  Feel too good to just go to bed and sleep, but not really good enough to do all the physical activities you want.  I also can never remember (or maybe they don’t know) when I stop being a “carrier” of whatever virus I have so I can avoid infecting others. 

Decided this morning to add hot tea to the mix of Suda-fed (“Sudafed” as one word comes up on spell check as “sedated”, which may be appropriate!) gatorade and water.  I drink the kind of hot tea we got in China, which actually is an English tea.  

Hopefully yesterday was the worst of my head cold.  A cough started, which I hope has stopped.  Cold air makes me start coughing again.  

Anyway, enough of that.  At least I will get over it, which is something to look forward to!

Approaching Christmas, I am reminded again of how wonderful it is that this season almost never becomes “oh no, another Christmas, or New Year”.  

Every year there is a sense of excitement and anticipation at another Christmas (or other appropriate Holiday), of family get-togethers, hearing seasonal music again, decorations etc.  

You may not have quite the anticipation small children do, but it is still a pleasure and a special time of the year.  

Years ago one Christmas, I played Santa Claus and, dressed as Santa Claus, I delivered presents to some children in the City.  It is something for some reason I never did again, but I always remember how much fun it was to see the children (and adults) enjoy Santa, even if they knew was simply a person dressed as Santa.

I stopped and visited my daughter, who was about 3 years old at the time.  I didn’t realize until years later that she still believed in Santa Claus and didn’t realize it was me.  

I don’t believe we ever went to extremes to indicate Santa Claus was real, but I think she felt a little misled when she realized Santa Claus, as such, was a myth.  

I don’t know if it is wrong or not to tell children Santa Claus is real.  Maybe it is wrong to tell them Santa Claus is not real, since it deprives them of the enjoyment of the idea.  

However, if I was directly asked, I would have to say the child is old enough to be told the truth.  Santa Claus may exist in a non-physical way, but not as a physical person portrayed in the myth.  Actually if I was directly asked now, I’d avoid answering the question since it isn’t my place to decide how to tell someone else’s child about Santa Claus!

Just got an e-mail reminding us to put the Courter Reunion on the calendar.  It is nice to think about scheduling something when it will be warm, or probably, hot!  

I hate to miss exercise for several days, much less the possibly of over a week of swimming, since with the Holidays, I was probably only going to get three days of swimming in this week.

One thing about walking, it is something I can almost always do (except when I am sick!) and it is fairly easy to start again.  Swimming is also easy to get started again.  

Bicycling in the wind is tough, especially the cold wind, but I figure I won’t learn to do it unless I do it, so to speak!   Bicycling is difficult to get started again, especially since I really don’t have a safe place to ride over than a very small area.  

I have noticed I breathe though my mouth more when I bicycle which means I probably need to really work at breathing through my noise.  Even though I wear a “mouth blanket”, I doubt if the air I breathe is really warmed up.  I may need to start using a stationary bicycle to keep in shape.  Although it isn’t near the same as actually riding, it does keep the muscles in shape!


That’s it for now, Sunday, December 20, 2015.

No comments: