Monday, December 21, 2015

Fall 2015 December 21 Monday



48 degrees this morning, no walk, still have head cold and cough.  

I checked and Winter, 2015 officially starts at 10:49 p.m., Dec. 21, so I’ll note this as “Fall” for one more day.

I also noted some definitions such as “Winter begins when your heating system fails” etc., which may have some truth.  

I am finding hot tea is about as good as anything for helping me feel better, although the combination of sudafed, gatorade, water and hot tea may be it.  

I have been getting a cough with my colds ever since I had the whooping cough shot.  I know what they say, but it is hard to not think the shot didn’t have something to do with it.  Aliene and I both got sick after the whooping cough shot with coughing spells that last for several weeks.  We actually don’t believe that, but…..

Work today is an “office day”, so hopefully I will feel well enough to work.  If I was working in an office I probably would call in sick just to avoid infecting other people and being a public nuisance (or maybe “office nuisance”).  Today should be the last day I feel this way.

I have been using two tea bags to provide more strength to the tea.  However, I was running out of tea so I switched to one tea bag and of course if it basically the same strength or at least tastes the same strength.  

Hoping Aliene doesn’t catch what I have, it is miserable. Last time she was sick with a similar symptoms, I didn’t catch it, so hopefully I can return the favor!

It promises to be a great Christmas week (temperature in the 60’s and even 70”s) so it is no time to be sick, especially at Christmas.

While I try to sleep as long as possible, I find I wake up a lot more and can’t sleep much longer than I always do for some reasons.  I seem to have some wild dreams, but I can’t remember them, which may be just as well.  

Looks like this whole post is going be about my head cold symptoms, which I didn’t really intend to do.  Of course, that is definitely is what is on my mind.  I have always hated being sick even when I was a child, I hated staying home from school etc.

I may get the opportunity  to use the tea pod that came with the Keurig.  I doubt that I will care that much for it, so I was saving it, but if I run out of tea, I will resort to that! 

Aliene had a good suggestion for the Keurig, which helps the problem with lukewarm coffee, which was to microwave the coffee mug with water before I make coffee. It actually helps quite a bit.

I still have to wonder at the popularity of the Keurig.  The temperature problem is the major thing, but overall the coffee isn’t great, although it is acceptable.
Of course, the major benefit is convenience and I find myself drinking two cups of (9 oz) coffee each morning rather than six or so, which is probably (or is) must better for my GERD.  It is convenient in a lot of ways, the coffee is easy to make, it isn’t messy, there is little or no clean-up etc., so I will probably keep on using it and microwave  the cup and probably the coffee.

I am going to try to use the “reusable pod” where I put ground coffee in a substitute pod.  Everyone I have talked with says it works fine and is a lot cheaper.  I have hesitated because there is a bit more of a mess possible and so far I have been able to locate reasonably inexpensive coffee pods.  

Looking ahead to a day of hot tea, gatorade, sudafed, and tying to get better!  Not a good way to spend the last day of Fall!


That’s it for now, Monday, December 21, 2015.  

No comments: